General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

general advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 PM
marty68
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general advice please

my wife says "i don't have a clue what to get you when you turn 50," ..."if you want a bike i don't see what the hold up is go get one."...
SHE IS A KEEPER.
i rode a lot before i had kids, they are gone now. i drive 42 miles each way to work.
i don't really want a Metric, i am unsure if wife will like riding, i don't have or want to spend 7-10k on a older softail.
i rode 2 nice sporties yesterday, dealer 2004 48k miles pipes, taller bars , bags. $4999
private party 07 1200 low sporty, heated grips bags pipes removable shield $5100.
i would have to borrow some money to buy either of those. or there is a friends sportster that he bought wrecked. 2005 1200c. nothing special, worn bags good tires 19k miles. it needs left forward controls, left fork tube bent, wheel, headlight, turn signals, handle bars, it comes with handle bars, fender, turn signals, headlight
what is it worth??
thinking i should buy both fork tubes. repaint whole bike (former body man)

Attached Thumbnails general advice please-sportster.jpg   general advice please-sportstercover.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2015, 01:19 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Not that it can't be done but if your going to be riding 2-up with the wife, I wouldn't be considering a Sportster.

It has plenty of power, but it just won't be very comfortable with both of you on it.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

If your friend bought the bike wrecked it probably has a salvage title. After you spent the time and money to fix it the value is still going to be fairly low. If you plan on keeping it for a few years then it might be worth the trouble but if you want to trade up later there's no value there. I'd keep shopping. There are bargains out there.

Dan

Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Since it's been a while since you rode, a few months won't kill ya. Especially in the north, the prices go down as the temperature goes down. January is good - cold as *****, the Christmas bills come in, Cooter wants to move the bike he hasn't ridden in a while - you always want to be a buyer when no one else does...

Old 10-14-2015, 03:03 PM
marty68
3rd Gear

the bike has a clean title no branding, my thought is fix it ride it if wife doesn't like riding i am good if not i can sell it and move up.. doing the calculations i think i can have it fixed for and bought for around 3200.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:03 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

that dealer 2004 w/ 48k for 5 grand sound too high.. I'd cross that off unless they'll come down a bunch.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
Since it's been a while since you rode, a few months won't kill ya. Especially in the north, the prices go down as the temperature goes down. January is good - cold as *****, the Christmas bills come in, Cooter wants to move the bike he hasn't ridden in a while - you always want to be a buyer when no one else does...
I wish they would drop in the winter. Most of the places up here stay pretty steady on prices....its unfortunate.

Originally Posted by marty68
the bike has a clean title no branding, my thought is fix it ride it if wife doesn't like riding i am good if not i can sell it and move up.. doing the calculations i think i can have it fixed for and bought for around 3200.

If you think you can do the repair with a clean title for 3000...I would do it...and just as you said, if momma decided to ride...then look at moving up...

I personally am not a sporty guy but I get the cash part of it totally....

Old 10-14-2015, 03:48 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Not that it can't be done but if your going to be riding 2-up with the wife, I wouldn't be considering a Sportster.

It has plenty of power, but it just won't be very comfortable with both of you on it.
I'm leaning toward this post. Maybe try a test ride on othe bikes and think about what kind of riding you plan on doing...short rides or long trips.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:00 PM
marty68
3rd Gear

how hard is it to rebuild tubes, if i get it i think i would replace both tubes, not keen on straightening a tube and maybe the right side is bent.
i would ride it to work 42 miles each way... 2 of us would be 100 day trips more or less, if she likes it i would move up anyway.
i rode a sportster low the other day, when he showed up he looked like grape ape on a toy bike. he is 6'2"

Old 10-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Riding season is almost over. No way that '04 Sportster is worth it. Start pricing bikes on Craigslist , and Cycletrader. By January the dealers in WI will be dying to sell you a bike. I bought mine on 1/27//11, the salesman in Racine, was sending me an email every half hour, trying to sell me a bike.

Last edited by Ron750; 10-15-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: general advice please