General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 08:53 AM
ffatboy03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shotgun Shocks

I've got a question for anybody that has shotguns on their softail. Is the ride quality worth the expense? Thanks

Old 11-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes

Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Rebound damping isn't as good as I would like, but overall, I'm happy with them.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think someone posted on softail site about Ohlins making softail shocks in 2016. Might be worth the wait .

Old 11-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Rebound damping isn't as good as I would like, but overall, I'm happy with them.
I'm in complete agreement here. Personally, I think that's a function of air-shock vs. springs, at least from my experience - a very different ride. The quality of the product and the customer service is second to none from my experience, so if you want the air shock ride I would recommend Shotgun shocks.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by electricstart
I think someone posted on softail site about Ohlins making softail shocks in 2016. Might be worth the wait .
Sounds like a waste of money putting Ohlins on a Softail due to the bikes geometry.

Then again, Ohlins can take the stock shock, slap a sticker directly over the HD label, and place it in their own packaging and people would swear it was better than stock.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:46 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The short answer is yes.

But tell me more how you ride, if you don't mind. Is your bike lowered? If now, how low do you want it to be?

Do you hit the twisties? How are the roads where you ride? Smooth? Potholes?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM
ffatboy03
Cruiser

I mainly like to cruise around town with an accational trip to the coast which is about 2 hrs from here mostly flat riding. Because of my vertically challenged condition I have progressive 422's on the bike now with them dropped about an inch maybe a little less. Not impressed with the ride although I know lowering the bike affects the ride so the 422's are probably a decent shock in the fully raised position.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Gotcha.

I run my Shotguns about 1.5. inches lowered from stock and the ride lowered like that is much smoother than stock shocks at their stock height. In fact, feels smoother than I have on any Softail of any suspension set up.

Some people will say you can go 2.0 inches lower than stock, or even close to slammed and still feel smoother than a stock suspension at stock height. That hasn't been my experience. Even with the Shotguns, I feel like you still need a sweet spot.

No matter what, you'll be significantly more comfortable lowered with the Shotgun, no matter what height, than you will be stock at that same height.

I have never tried the 422s. But I've heard here that while they are great for twisties riding, they are not necessarily more comfortable on a lowered bike than stock shocks. You undoubtedly have your own impressions.

The thing about the Shotguns is you can raise the bike in the twisties, and that really helps as far as ground clearance and taking curves.

Oh, and if you do a lot of 2 up riding, the Shotguns are kind of a no brainer. And if you ride in a city with a lot of potholes and other crap like we have here in L.A. the Shotguns will keep you from busting your ****.

Customer service is unmatched with the Shotguns. Some folks have had trouble with theirs. I did have some perceived loss of air when my bike sat for a week once. The problem was addressed quickly here in L.A. under the lifetime warranty. I happen to work very near SS headquarters so that was especially easy for me.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 11-11-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:49 PM
ffatboy03
Cruiser

Hey SCSS, thanks for taking the time to answer my question with such good insight. Definitely moving me closer to pulling the trigger on the SS. Also, Thanks to everybody else who has replied.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Shocks