General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,193 Likes on 5,618 Posts
Default My dilemma

Back in August or September I sold my 03 Road King and bought an 07 Street Bob. I really liked the King. It looked good and rode like a Cadillac. The problem was it was getting old and things were starting to break and wear out. Some of the parts were also obsolete. My ol lady would ride with me occasionally and she liked the King too. Then I bought the Street Bob and I really like it. It is a cool looking bike, it has a lot of extra goodies on it from the previous owner, and after a few mods I am starting to get it like I want it. Not to mention the '96 and the 6 speed.
Now here's my dilemma. My ol lady doesn't like the Bob. She hasn't even been for a ride on it yet and she has no interest in it. She sat on it and said it sits too low. And I am sure if she did take a spin the difference in ride quality would only add to her dislike. My Bob has an aftermarket rear suspension that handles pretty good but ride quality (comfort) is not anywhere close to the Road King. As I said earlier. I have been doing some things to get the Street Bob like I want it. Mustang seat, windshield, saddlebags, stirrups for the forward controls to name a few. So last night she tells me to stop spending money on the Bob and to sell it and buy another Road King. I am torn because I like the Street Bob. It handles great and hauls ***, but I also liked the King and riding with the little lady. And to be honest, after about 2 hours on the Street Bob I start missing the King too, again it's a comfort thing. So I put it to you guys to give me your opinions. I already have an idea of what I want to do but I want some other opinions to see what you guys think. I know, first world problems right?

Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,193 Likes on 5,618 Posts

Double post

Old 11-13-2015, 06:24 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I get it. But keep mama happy. Not like she's telling to to get a Goldwing. You already love the King, post -09 are even better than your 03. Or you could go 14 and up for even more goodies.

I'm biased, because I love my 07 FXD, but I can't stop eyeing Road Kings.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Lighteye
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I also ride an RK, but it doesn't bias my advice.

Keeping the Mrs. happy is IMPORTANT. Fail to do so, and your life quickly becomes hell. I'm not saying you roll over and do everything she wants, but the art of compromise is how marriages survive.

Seeing as how you also miss your RK, I think you have 2 choices...buy another one and keep the SB for yourself and solo runs. If that's not possible, sell it and get an RK that you can customize to your hearts desire. If you hated your RK, that'd be a different story, but you don't.

P.S. I'm sure someone will be along shortly and say "who cares what she wants? You're the one paying, do what you please". Disregard that idiot if/when he appears. He's also the one with a box of kleenex and baby lotion on his nightstand.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:44 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Is it possible to have both?

Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I have been married 43 years and in all that time, my wife has ridden with me TWICE...short rides out to eat. Back in the beginning, I bought her a small Kawasaki and we would ride around together some, but she just couldn't master her fear of falling and getting hurt and stopped riding so I finally traded the bike.

Still today, it really doesn't matter what I am riding, she just does not like to ride so if she told me to ditch my beloved Super Glide and get a RK or a Heritage or any touring model so she could ride with me, I would be on it in a heartbeat...

Old 11-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I have a Super Glide and a Road King. Every time I ride one of them I say to myself; "If I could only have ONE bike it would be THIS one". Nothing beats a 200 pound weight reduction when doing the twistys and I have good suspension on the FXD. That said, there's nothing like the smoothness of the King, being able to put the bike on cruise control and bang out a thousand miles to get where I wanna be. My wife rides her own bike so I don't carry any passengers.

If I were in your shoes I'd look hard at a Switchback. I don't know a thing about them but to me it looks like it could split the difference.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 11-13-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

If riding with your wife is a big part of your life then get the bike that makes that happen. Nomadmax had an interesting idea there, maybe it's time for a test ride for both you and your wife at the same time.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:31 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Boy, this is a tough one. You like both but you are enjoying the SB right now. Most likely because of the difference that this SB has to offer over the RK. IMO, I would go with a RK because " Happy wife, Happy life". This is so true. At least you are still riding.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

My wife hated riding on the back of my FXR so I picked up an Electra Glide.

Quick Reply: My dilemma