General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You can learn even from them

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:09 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Post You can learn even from them

So I have been riding sporadically with guys on rockets for past few months. Never visualized riding a crotch rocket myself, hated the riding stance, tiny pegs, ugly plastic-covered frame and was never the biggest fan of sports bike riders in general.

But I am slowly realizing how skilled some of these guys are. I got an invitation for an impromptu ride with one group today to Uwharrie forest here in NC and decided to join them. What I didn't realize that I was the only cruiser (let alone a Sportster) in the whole group of roughly 15 riders. Everyone of them on a rocket and the ride leader was a 65-yo track instructor on a Ducati.

Long story short, I hung in the back but they couldn't shake me off for the whole ride. However it took me every bit of my skill (whatever little I have) to stay with them. I carved corners at 70mph, leaned bike to the levels I would never lean in my right mind and scrapped things on my bike I never even imagined to scrape. All of this because I was trying to stay with the group. We bash the sports bike riders for their speed and rash driving but the more I ride with them the more I learn about riding with better control of the bike and appreciate their skills. Of course it doesn't apply to all of them.

Here are a couple of scuffs I picked up today. I ruined my beloved Rush slip-ons but I am kind of happy at the same time.

Last edited by kingxirol; 11-15-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

As a former Hayabusa rider, I will say, sport bike riders aren't all bad. Just like bikers aren't all bad. I would still be hauling *** if I hadn't gotten old and fat.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,517 Likes on 805 Posts

If you're on a Sportster you already have a leg up on any other "cruiser" when you're riding with sportbikes.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

The day I started riding a sport bike was the day I realized I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle properly even though I had over 15 years experience riding a Harley.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
The day I started riding a sport bike was the day I realized I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle properly even though I had over 15 years experience riding a Harley.
Exactly... riding fast in a straight line is easy, anyone can do it but it's the corners that separate the motorcycle owners from motorcyclists; HD was not given immunity from the laws of physics and understanding cornering theory isn't just for a sport bike or racing, it applies to all motorcycles on all corners and a Harley rider will benefit greatly with a clear understanding of corner entry, throttle control, and developing proper vision skills and then practicing those skills; skills not practiced don't exist...

Old 11-16-2015, 07:37 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

[quote=kingxirol]However it took me every bit of my skill (whatever little I have) to stay with them. I carved corners at 70mph, leaned bike to the levels I would never lean in my right mind and scrapped things on my bike I never even imagined to scrape. All of this because I was trying to stay with the group.][/quote

Gotta love those group rides....

Old 11-16-2015, 07:45 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have never owned or spent much time on a "rocket" you cannot understand the performance of these machines. Very little riding knowledge translates from harley to sportbike, but also the other way. Harleys are a different breed to other bikes as well.

On many current sport bikes carving corners at 70 mph is not that fast. I have owned many other bikes, and this is my first harley. I swear I learn something new every time I ride it.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:45 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wilddave
If you have never owned or spent much time on a "rocket" you cannot understand the performance of these machines. Very little riding knowledge translates from harley to sportbike, but also the other way. Harleys are a different breed to other bikes as well.

On many current sport bikes carving corners at 70 mph is not that fast. I have owned many other bikes, and this is my first harley. I swear I learn something new every time I ride it.
Kind of my point. Sports bikes are very powerful nowadays (my friend's Yamaha produces 125hp) but I think you need real skills to tame a beast so powerful. Even if you give one of these bikes to an experienced cruiser rider, he will most likely have a hard time keeping up with a sports bike rider with same experience in terms if number of years; simply because he hasn't had the required practice. Nothing bad about it, it's just the fact. Every ride brings something new to learn.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kingxirol
So I have been riding sporadically with guys on rockets for past few months. Never visualized riding a crotch rocket myself, hated the riding stance, tiny pegs, ugly plastic-covered frame and was never the biggest fan of sports bike riders in general.

But I am slowly realizing how skilled some of these guys are. I got an invitation for an impromptu ride with one group today to Uwharrie forest here in NC and decided to join them. What I didn't realize that I was the only cruiser (let alone a Sportster) in the whole group of roughly 15 riders. Everyone of them on a rocket and the ride leader was a 65-yo track instructor on a Ducati.

Long story short, I hung in the back but they couldn't shake me off for the whole ride. However it took me every bit of my skill (whatever little I have) to stay with them. I carved corners at 70mph, leaned bike to the levels I would never lean in my right mind and scrapped things on my bike I never even imagined to scrape. All of this because I was trying to stay with the group. We bash the sports bike riders for their speed and rash driving but the more I ride with them the more I learn about riding with better control of the bike and appreciate their skills. Of course it doesn't apply to all of them.

Here are a couple of scuffs I picked up today. I ruined my beloved Rush slip-ons but I am kind of happy at the same time.

Pipe scratches mean little, let's see the chicken strips

Old 11-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

He may not be able to get to his chicken strips if the bike doesn't have sufficient lean angle.

I've said this before:
If you want to learn to ride a motorcycle correctly,
GO TO A TRACK DAY
and take some lessons.

To hell with riders edge course.

Hit the track, learn how to ride and control a bike at speed.
Learn how to read a curve.
Learn how to enter a curve and how to exit it.
Learn to move your center of gravity.
On a Harley, you can start by just relaxing your inside elbow and dropping your head and shoulders into the turn more than the bike.
Learn what real braking is about.

Want to see a rider that is comfortable on a bike.
Look for the rider that learned n the dirt, moved to the track and bought a Harley to slow down.

Quick Reply: You can learn even from them