General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in Bangladesh

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Made in Bangladesh

I just bought a new to me 2001 Deuce. My last Harley was in 1982 followed by a number of BMW's and Triumphs. The Deuce is a beautiful bike kept in excellent condition by it's original owner.

In the last 30+ years I've been in HD Dealers a few times but not on a frequent basis. Today I was shopping for a HD Riding jacket at the local Harley dealer. Saw one I liked looked it over and then saw "Made in Bangladesh".

I understand it is a new World with global economy, blah, blah, but it just kind of hit me. It especially hit me when next to the Bangladesh tag, was the $295 price tag for a non-leather jacket.

It's just the way it is.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Cheap labor is overseas, not here. Most of the cost is when they put HD on anything.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 AM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
It especially hit me when next to the Bangladesh tag, was the $295 price tag for a non-leather jacket.
It's a $95 jacket with a $200 HD label on it. There are better leather jackets out there.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I personally dont care to be a rolling billboard for HD, so I dont buy their goofy overpriced leather advertisements.

I've got a cheap (but good) leather jacket from Leatherup.com.

A top quality USA-made leather jacket will cost you a minimum of $500

Next fall I'm planning on buying one from Fox Creek or any number of other high quality USA suppliers.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:13 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

You can have that American made jacket, just pay $495 for it.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Find an older used US made jacket that fits .Not hard to find,may need a zipper or seam repaired.Ride with a little class....
This Lesco was bought for $75,well made and beautiful jacket.

Attached Thumbnails Made in Bangladesh-lesco-001.jpg  

Last edited by 01fxdxt; 11-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

It's Black Friday go to www.jpcycles.com , Leather up.com or wilsonleather.com and find one on sale.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

My American made Aerostitch Transit jacket cost me about a thousand when I bought it. The price has since gone up.

http://www.aerostich.com/transit-jacket-9.html

Old 11-27-2015, 05:34 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
My American made Aerostitch Transit jacket cost me about a thousand when I bought it. The price has since gone up.

http://www.aerostich.com/transit-jacket-9.html
From the Aerostich description - The main pant and jacket zippers are an all new waterproof type which further increase the Transit's functionality. Jacket sizes 38–52, short, regular and long. Pants sizes 30–44 waist, short, regular and long. Imported.

Don't get me wrong - it's great stuff. How many leather jackets are waterproof? Only one that I know of. But sadly, even with Aerostich you have to read the fine print. It's not all made in USA.

On the other hand, Fox Creek is. My "summer" leather is Made in USA. I love the quality and I got it on sale for under $400. They make them in long sizes and will customize if necessary. As far as it being a summer jacket, it's heavier than a lot of "regular" weight jackets. It has vents, which make it useful in warmer temps, but I use it all year.

And no........no imported Harley gear for me. Especially at the prices they get.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
From the Aerostich description - The main pant and jacket zippers are an all new waterproof type which further increase the Transit's functionality. Jacket sizes 38–52, short, regular and long. Pants sizes 30–44 waist, short, regular and long. Imported.

Don't get me wrong - it's great stuff. How many leather jackets are waterproof? Only one that I know of. But sadly, even with Aerostich you have to read the fine print. It's not all made in USA.

On the other hand, Fox Creek is. My "summer" leather is Made in USA. I love the quality and I got it on sale for under $400. They make them in long sizes and will customize if necessary. As far as it being a summer jacket, it's heavier than a lot of "regular" weight jackets. It has vents, which make it useful in warmer temps, but I use it all year.

And no........no imported Harley gear for me. Especially at the prices they get.
Then they have switched where this jacket is manufactured. When I bought mine it was still made in the USA. I guess that is a sign of the times.

Quick Reply: Made in Bangladesh