General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First start up after rebuild tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default First start up after rebuild tips

I just put the SE 103 big bore kit in my 09 Ultra along with Wood Performance 222 cams, new clutch pack and Clutch Wizard, and about done putting back on all the repainted parts. My first go round doing this level of work.

Looking for any tips on how to do the initial start up and what to look for that might indicate something is wrong.

Temps will hit low 40s this Thursday, Jan 7th, so that's the fire it up date.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Speedjester
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put a fan in front of it.. New builds get really hot... Other than that the usual.. Noise, leaks, smoke ..

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

new builds, start the engine and run till the jugs just start to get warm to the touch, then shut if off letting it cool completely. look for any oil leaks. repeat this about four times increaseing the time it's being run alittle each time. keep a fan a it the entire time. i always ride it very easy and change the oil at fifty miles. break it in for a 1000 miles at least. some will tell you to ride it like you stole it, not me. long life is what i've always been looking for and this works. S&S recommends breaking it in for 2000 miles. at least in their old book.

Last edited by hardheaded; 01-10-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Pics of the build????

Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
beammeup
Road Master

Originally Posted by hardheaded
new builds, start the engine run for a till the jugs just start to get warm to the touch, then shut if off letting it cool completely. look for any oil leaks. repeat this aboutfour times increaseing the time it's being run alittle each time. keep a fan a it the entire time. i always ride it very easy and change the oil at fifty miles. break it in for a 1000 miles at least. some will tell you to ride it like you stole it, not me. long life is what i've always been looking for and this works. S&S recommends breaking it in for 2000 miles. at least in their old book.
That is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I've read here and there about kicking it over a couple times with the wires off and making sure the oil pressure gauge hits 30 at 2000 rpms, but that's it.

thanks for the help.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 AM
beammeup
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Pics of the build????
Not sure what is meant by pics of the build but I do have pics of the entire process of removing the top end, cams, cam bearings, and installing the new, but there's already some really good threads of guys showing how they put in 107 kits and cam installs, so I didn't do another.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

1. Disable the Ignition. Either pull and ground the Spark Plug Wires, or disconnect the Wiring Harness from the Coil.
  2. Crank the Engine until the Oil Pressure Light goes out. Crank with the Starter Motor for no more than 30 seconds at a time with a 2 minute cool down in between.
  3. Place a large Fan so that it blows air on the engine and turn it on. Place your hand on the opposite side of the Cylinders from the Fan and make sure there is a significant amount of air flowing around the Cylinders.
  4. Re-enable the Ignition and start the engine.
  5. Gently vary engine RPM between ~1,500 RPM and ~2,500 RPM. Do this for about 2 - 5 Minutes. Varying the engine speed is important so that the oil that is being slung around in the Crankcase by the Flywheels the Connecting Rods, Etc. doesn't concentrate on just one area. Varying the RPM makes sure every thing gets a reasonable amount of lubrication.
  6. Check for oil leaks.
  7. Take the bike for a ride of abut 5 - 10 miles. Once the engine is fully warmed up; At ~45 MPH accelerate at full Throttle up to ~60 MPH. Do this about 3 times. You do not want to lug the engine but you do want it to pull hard from a low RPM. This generates a high Mean Effective Pressure in the Combustion Chambers. This pushes the Rings very tightly against the Cylinder Bore and seats the Rings well.
  8. Take it easy on the engine for the first 500 miles or so; then change the Oil the Filter and the Spark Plugs.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 01-04-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:42 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
  1. Disable the Ignition. Either pull and ground the Spark Plug Wires, or disconnect the Wiring Harness from the Coil.
  2. Crank the Engine until the Oil Pressure Light goes out. Crank with the Starter Motor for no more than 30 seconds at a time with a 2 minute cool down in between.
  3. Place a large Fan so that it blows air on the engine and turn it on. Place your hand on the opposite side of the Cylinders from the Fan and make sure there is a significant amount of air flowing around the Cylinders.
  5. Gently vary engine RPM between ~1,500 RPM and ~2,500 RPM. Do this for about 2 - 5 Minutes. Varying the engine speed is important so that the oil that is being slung around in the Crankcase by the Flywheels the Connecting Rods, Etc. doesn't concentrate on just one area. Varying the RPM makes sure every thing gets a reasonable amount of lubrication.
  6. Check for oil leaks.
  7. Take the bike for a ride of abut 5 - 10 miles. Once the engine is fully warmed up; At ~45 MPH accelerate at full Throttle up to ~60 MPH. Do this about 3 times. You do not want to lug the engine but you do want it to pull hard from a low RPM. This generates a high Mean Effective Pressure in the Combustion Chambers. This pushes the Rings very tightly against the Cylinder Bore and seats the Rings well.
  8. Take it easy on the engine for the first 500 miles or so; then change the Oil the Filter and the Spark Plugs.
You covered it very well.

I always follow a similar routine ( 1 & 2) when taking my sports car or motorcycle out of storage.

Last edited by 1004ron; 01-04-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
  6. Check for oil leaks.
In the process of breaking in new top end now, 110 miles so far. This is kinda what I did but theres some being left out or maybe not being stated clearly? To heat cycle I did as stated earlier in the thread by running bike for about 30 seconds the first time then longer each additional time 4-5 more times. You should notice it taking longer to warm up each time you heat cycle and you should let it cool down completely between each cycle. Also dont blip the throttle, keep it nice and steady, I kept mine between 1200-1600 rpm during the head cycles. Another thing is the 30/60/30. This is to seat the rings and what I think was left out or maybe just wasnt clear to me, is that after you accelerate (for me it was done in 3rd gear) from 30 to 60 mph you'll let off the throttle completely and allow the bike to slow it self down to 30 mph and repeat 10 times.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 PM
beammeup
Road Master

I'm really glad all of you offered your break in processes and explanations. I had no idea what was involved.

Looks like I better start a little earlier in the day!

I'll report back on how things turn out.

Last edited by beammeup; 01-04-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: First start up after rebuild tips