General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screw in rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default screw in rear tire

Found a screw in my rear tire today. Does not seem to be leaking air. Would it be okay to make it to the dealership roughly 40 miles away?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Go buy a plug kit.
Take the screw out and plug the hole.
Done, you earned a beer...

Or let the dealership replace the tire, that is how they keep the lights on...

Seriously, I've ran plugged tires 1,000's of miles.
I don't throw tires away until the tread is gone.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-10-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Do you feel lucky?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:40 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Center of the tread?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Kind of iffy. I'd give it a 50/50 chance. How long does it look like the screw has been in there? Is there much left of the head showing? And why aren't you using Ride-On? Would have been no problem if you were. Next time eh?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM
kevjo
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Forgot to mention the screw is in the center of tread. Going to need new tires in about a thousand miles anyway. Should I try to plug it first or can i ride on it?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjo
Found a screw in my rear tire today. Does not seem to be leaking air. Would it be okay to make it to the dealership roughly 40 miles away?
Originally Posted by ILMFBL
... And why aren't you using Ride-On? Would have been no problem if you were. Next time eh?
The screw is still in his tire and it isn't leaking air. How is Ride-On going to help that? It obviously isn't a problem without Ride-On.

Originally Posted by kevjo
Forgot to mention the screw is in the center of tread. Going to need new tires in about a thousand miles anyway. Should I try to plug it first or can i ride on it?
I would plug it using a mushroom style tire plug. Then ride on it and replace the tire when you would have otherwise.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:25 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Go buy a plug kit.
Take the screw out and plug the hole.
Done, you earned a beer...

Or let the dealership replace the tire, that is how they keep the lights on...

Seriously, I've ran plugged tires 1,000's of miles.
I don't throw tires away until the tread is gone.
Agreed.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,152 Likes on 3,798 Posts

I have had to replace at least 5 motorcycle tires since 2008. All because of nails or screws. A curse on the M/F responsible for the nail or screw ending up on the road. I always got a new tire. I can afford it and it gives me piece of mind. I would hate to end up in the grave or in a wheel chair because I tried to salvage a motorcycle tire. I talked to a guy once who stopped riding motorcycles after he had front tire blowout. Said it was the scariest thing he ever experienced. It is one thing do patch or plug a car tire but on motorcycle it could be your ***. The cost of replacing all five tires was a tad over $1000. My health is worth more than that. I may be wrong and others may see things differently.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

In October, '88, I bought a used, low-mileage FXSTC (Softail Custom)from a young man (about 25 years old) who obviously didn't know how to properly take care of a motorcycle.
At about 18,000 miles, he thought (and so did I) that the bike needed a new clutch. Several bulbs were not working, and the battery was the OEM and it was obviously needed to be replaced.
Anyways, I bought the bike for the "pay-off) and trailered it home.

I adjusted the clutch(all it needed) and replaced all of the blown bulbs, but being that it was the end of the riding season, I didn't replace the batter as I only got to ride the bike once before the Michigan weather turned "crappy".

IN late February, we had a sunny stretch of weather and I was dying to get the bike out of the garage and take a few pics of it to show the guys at work and we decided to "brave the weather" and take a short ride around the neighborhood.
I turned off of our street and onto the main boulevard that ran through our sub-division and just as I shifted into 3rd gear I heard a "popping" noise and immediately the bike began to "fish-tail" and we then went down!
The good thing was that we did not make it to the main surface street, and we weren't going very fast.
No serious injuries, just some bruises and a damaged ego for me.

Turns out that the previous owner had "plugged" the rear tire, and I guess that with the cold weather, the glue on the plug let go and the plug popped out.

I'd feel just as safe with a screw in a tire (it it isn't losing air) as I would with a plug. I'd prefer trailering the bike to the shop for a new tire, but if not, I'd suggest that you ride solo and take your time.

Through the years I discovered nails and screws in tires and there's no way of telling how long they had been there or how many miles I had ridden on them, but once you know it, you need to REPLACE the tire.

Quick Reply: screw in rear tire