General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping On The Side Of The Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Stopping On The Side Of The Road

Everyone on the forum bitches about no one stopping for a bike on the side of the road...

I stop for every bike I see, even if means cutting over through 3 lanes from the hammer line.

Here is what I've stopped for:
"Waiting to meet some others"
"Taking a smoke break"
and today:
"I need to take a ****"

For all you rookie (or brain dead) riders, stopping on the shoulder of the interstate is a damned idiot move for anything other than breaking down!!!

Any other reason is a damned stupid F'n idea.

Grow up and think what a stupid damned idea is for stopping on the shoulder unless you have to.

Rant over.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,706 Likes on 6,690 Posts

These days folks are stopping on the shoulder of the road to play with their phones.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:06 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well you took a whole different line than I was expecting but I agree, find a better place to stop unless there is no other choice.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Well you took a whole different line than I was expecting but I agree, find a better place to stop unless there is no other choice.
Call it "tough love"

Old 01-31-2016, 03:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

I'm going to have to out myself here like a AA meeting, I almost blew by a kid pushing a rice rocket the other day, it was close. Saw him and the bike was an import and thought being a rocket rider haha, then what little conscious I have kicked in. I mean what the hell pushing is pushing doesn't matter the bike or clothes on the guy doing it. Turns out yeah he had ran it outa gas playing games and he admitted to it so he got a ride to the next exit and the gas station. I was out a 1/2hr but my good deed of the month quota got filled.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:40 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I get the whole "stop for all riders" thing. But one of the realities of today is almost everyone these days has a cell phone and can call for assistance. If someone is obviously injured, I'll stop for sure or if they're waving me down.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:45 PM
eeyore
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I confess - I have stopped on the breakdown lane of an interstate because I was lost and not sure what exit to take. Didn't need any help just wanted to check the map. I thought that's what the nice wide shoulders were for.

On the other hand - I pulled off the Blue Ridge Parkway a couple years ago because I was about to faint after having had an accident. Laid there on the curb face up in the rain for about a half hour and saw any number of "brothers" go by. I would have appreciated someone like you stopping, Jonsee.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:52 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The times I've stopped, I was told they had help coming the majority of the time. I've never helped anyone or had anyone wave me down.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:53 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

We've had several bad accidents here lately where people ran into cars on the shoulder, one of those hit was an LEO with full lights on for a traffic stop.

I'll admit I have pulled over to wait for riders to catch up in the past, not any more. Too many people out there not paying attention for any number of reasons.

I'll still stop for someone that is broken down when they indicate they need help after I give them a thumbs up.

Last edited by joe.1955; 01-31-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:54 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 495 Likes on 273 Posts

If I have enough time, I'll slow down, point, and give a thumbs up/thumbs down to see if they need any help. If they don't signal back they need help I keep on going. if it's obvious they need help, I'll stop regardless. But to stop for every bike I see on the side of the road is kind of fool hardy I think. Like you said, right/wrong, good/bad, folks stop for lots of reasons.

Quick Reply: Stopping On The Side Of The Road