General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Siesta Keys Beach

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 PM
NightHunter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Siesta Keys Beach

Heading down on a bike ride. Has anyone been there, snowing here now, so this time next month will be there

Old 02-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I have never been there on a bike, but would love to. Been there several times by car. Nice beach. Nice area shops, restaurants and bars. Everybody is relaxed and having a good time. If you want a good breakfast and coffee go go the Broken Egg Cafe. I love their beignets. Not as good as Cafe Du Monde but still delicious. Walk off the calories though.
Saw this cool Woody Volvo there:

Traffic and parking get crowded. I would get there early, and park, then walk around. Unless you are staying somewhere with parking. Have fun.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I live in Sarasota. Great beach. Previous post is correct: bad traffic and not enough parking, so get there early.

You might also want to head south on 41 to Blackburn Point Road. Cross one of the few swing bridges still in operation and stop at Tiki bar for food and drink. Then head south on Casey Key too see how the rich and famous live (Stephen King etc.) to north jetty in Nokomis. Grab a libation and watch manatees at the beach.

If you want to ride inland, head down 72 to Open Road bar in Arcadia and ask someone how to finds Herbs and Solomans Castle. Fun and food at the castle.

Have fun.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

It's a short ride over to the Sarasota Yacht Club. It's open to the public, and actually reasonable prices, good cocktails and appetizers. Nice view of the Yacht Club harbor. You will drool over the Rich Man cars in the parking lot. Ferrarris, Lamborginis, Maybachs, Fort GT40s..

I prefer my Mustang, but it's nice to look.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I spent a week in a condo there a few years ago. Its considered one of the top 10 beaches in the world. It has that amazing sand that feels like confectioner's sugar and its a fantastic beach. I grew up on the water on the Atlantic, but this beach is wonderful. If I had the money I'd buy a condo there. You'll enjoy it.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 AM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I was in the wrong place but where I stopped it was a 1/4-1/2 mile to the water so make sure you're prepared to walk. No beach motels/hotels to park and stay that I saw. Heavy traffic on small two lane street w/lots of peds. Left there and went to Daytona. Even for a more relaxed place, Mexico Beach, FL.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:45 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Siesta Key has pretty nice beaches. If you are out for a ride and want to visit another close by beach in that area take Rt. 41 south to Nokomis, or the Venice area. Turn on Albee Road off of Rt. 41 to get to Nokomis beach. Free parking for the beach and probably less crowded this time of year than Siesta Key, or at least during the week.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Yup nice area. Going down there again soon to stay at my wifes bosses condo...Castel Del Mare condos right on Stickney Pt Rd (you'll likely go right past there).

People gather towards the north end (by the huge parking lots) for the sunsets....it's pretty cool.

While you're there...I encourage you to cruise north....spend a few hours in St Armands Square (which is on the key north of Siesta...called Lido Key"...and also cruise the two keys north...Long Boat and Anna Marie Island. Can be heavy traffic at times...but worth cruising it once to see them.

Plenty of spots where you can pull right up by the beach.
I know lots of travel magazines call some of the beaches there in the top 10 in the world...while yeah the sand in some of the desolate areas of Siesta keys is nice...I don't consider it a top beach at all. It's crowded, littered, a heavily populated area, and quite honestly swimming in the Gulf Coast sucks. Tan water. I'll take desolate areas of the Bahamas any day.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 02-03-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

If you want lesser crowds and nicer sand/water, head down to Boca Grande pass. About an hour or so south....

Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Consider a stop at Mar Vista Dockside for a meal or drink.
Rather nice outback next to the water, especially at night with the tree lights.
760 Broadway St, Longboat Key, FL 34228
The Siesta Key Rum factory has a free tour and free samples but they like for you to reserve online.

Quick Reply: Siesta Keys Beach