General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadKing Classic to ride like street glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 PM
mikelangrich
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoadKing Classic to ride like street glide

Want my 2012 RoadKing classic; to set like a street glide, ( rear lower than the front and to feel like i'm sitting in it, instead of on top).
what are my options, without braking the bank.
thanks.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:15 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I think the only real difference is the shorter shocks on the rear - I'd think you would be able to find a good deal on some take offs somewhere. Or you could probably just install a shorter aftermarket pair, but for decent ones it'll get pricey.

Keep in mind that when you take away that extra inch of travel, your ride quality is gonna suffer. Noticeably.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Yup lower shocks won't "BREAK" the bank.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:02 PM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I sent my rear shocks to Phoenix Customs(Bitchin' Baggers) and had them shortened to 11 1/2" The front I lowered using Progressive springs.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:20 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I guess you could lower the rear with the shorter rear shocks, put a larger wheel and a low profile tire on the front, & I suppose a different seat, but I doubt just doing that will make you feel like you're sitting "in" the bike. It would be a good looking bike that still has a nice comfy ride though! Touring frames are designed with a higher Center of Gravity and that doesn't change much by lowering the whole bike. The weight ratio is still going to feel top heavy because, well, it is.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:03 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

To get "in" the bike, the first mod you should do is to your seat. You can have the stock foam removed and have some memory foam put in. The ride quality will improve, it will sit you lower (Call C&C or mean City Cycles), and it is probably the least expensive mod you can do. I would start there.

My last bike was a street glide. I thought the stock air shocks were horrible. I replaced them with Progressive 944's. They give the travel of a 13' shock in a 12' housing. Don't ask me how, I don't know. But I do know the ride was significantly improved. BUT that mod will cost you some $$.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This^
Seat can make a huge difference in the feel/look of the bike. The seat on my RK sits me back more and gives me a more stretched out,laid back feeling than the stock "upright" seating it came with or like on my Ultra.

I have been running lowered shocks on mine for about 2 years, like the look but not the ride. I will soon be going with Progressive or something similar.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Highway Guy
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

L A Choppers 1" lowering kit on my EG Classic. It will ride stiffer, but the front to rear angle will be changed, more like the streetglide. Also great for extended reach for short inseams.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Find some street glide shocks used. Check out the part numbers in the link.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nd-length.html

I have shorter rears on my RKC. Also a C&C seat, really makes me feel in the bike.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I was able to feel more like I was in the bike by getting a low profile C & C seat along with lowering the rear 1 inch. I forgot to mention I have a 2010 Ultra.

Quick Reply: RoadKing Classic to ride like street glide