General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM
canicta
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires

A friend had new tires on his cycle.As I was looking them over I noticed that on the front tire it was stamped right on the tire "rear tire mount only". Not sure what brand and shouldn't matter anyway. I am wondering if this is an issue or what ?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

I'm not sure it it's an issue but there's several models of bikes that looks like they have the same size of tire on the front and back.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

If its stamped for rear mount only and installed on the front, Then yes its an issue.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Rear motorcycle tires are responsible for certain bike functions, such as:
Power The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn’t handle as well if put on the front.
Weight The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
Lean Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate this requirement.

Front motorcycle tires have specific characteristics, as well as limitations, including:
Braking The front tire provides up to 80% of the braking power for your motorcycle. It’s shaped to provide this, rather than acceleration like the rear tire
Turning The most obvious function of the front tire is turning right & left. A front tire is more triangular shaped for better handling. You would notice this if you were to try to put a rear tire on the front, as they aren’t shaped for turning and you’d have a hard time turning your bike properly.
Tread Because the front tire’s main purpose is braking, the tread isn’t going to be as thick. This would become very obvious if you were to run a front tire on the rear of your motorcycle. You would notice that the tread would wear down very quickly due to the thinner tread on a front-specific tire.

From this link. -- http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com...cle-tires.html

It is also very important that your tires be mounted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for rotation direction. There is an arrow on the sidewall of each tire, indicating the proper direction of rotation. This is just as important as purchasing the correct front and rear tires, because the tires are shaped and weighted in accordance with the recommended rotation direction. It may be tempting to run a tire backward, but your tire will not only wear unevenly, your bike will not perform at its best if you are running a tire backward. The only exception to this rule is if a tire includes both directional arrows and is specifically marked as a dual-rotation tire.

Last edited by oct1949; 02-10-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:14 AM
canicta
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the difference. I have never seen a tire with that stamped on it before. I know my Dunlops for my RKC don't have that marked on them. What I may use for my front tire someone else may use for their rear with no issues. I have a hunch that the dealer just grabbed a tire of the correct size and put it on with out realizing it was stamped for "rear tire mount only".

Old 02-12-2016, 08:25 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Now that that's settled, I'll say we Breakout owners have a nearly idiot proof system working for us . I say nearly because, as we all know, the legendary determination of idiots should never be underestimated.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:32 AM
canicta
Advanced

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Now that that's settled, I'll say we Breakout owners have a nearly idiot proof system working for us . I say nearly because, as we all know, the legendary determination of idiots should never be underestimated.
I asked a simple question and you take it upon yourself to throw in your worthless $.02 (Canadian).Kind of early to be having a bad day...eh?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:23 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by canicta
I asked a simple question and you take it upon yourself to throw in your worthless $.02 (Canadian).Kind of early to be having a bad day...eh?
I took it those familiar with the BO would recognize the obvious joke.

No matter, I've offended you so please accept my apology.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:34 AM
canicta
Advanced

No problem.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:46 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

The jerk was calling the kettle black and insulted you for doing exactly what this forum is for and you apologized to him instead of telling him to *** off.