General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:38 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Leaning

Dont want to start a long boring thread or get into a pissing contest.
Been reading up on leaning, one author suggest's lean in turn, other author suggest counter leaning as in counter steering.

Just out of curiosity, what do you folks do and what does your passenger do?
Note: been on two wheels 50+ yrs, just wonder what my fellow riders do.
Thanks

Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 PM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just stay on the seat keeping the angle of my spine on the center line and perpendicular to the motorcycle. I just do it without thinking, learned that way, and unless I'm road racing (don't do that much anymore) I don't hike my butt around trying to gain a weight advantage. Just not necessary.

I tell all my passengers to sit straight up on the bike same as me and when we make a left turn or corner look over my left shoulder and when we make a right turn or corner look over my right shoulder. Have ridden with two daughters, my wife, and a dozen or so others and never had a problem with that strategy.

Last edited by bigwave916; 03-09-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:20 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

The bike needs to lean to turn.

Counter steering starts it leaning over and thus turning. Counter steering is NOT leaning in the opposite direction to the turn!

You need to counter steer - not to try to lean to turn it. It will lean over by itself if you steer it right...

Test it this way. Ride in a straight line and lean your body one way or the other and see how far it steers as you lean over.

Then do the same again but keep your body in line with the bike and counter steer. See how much further it steers this way.

Eventually, there will be a combination of shifting your body weight inside or outside the centreline of the bike depending on what you are trying to accomplish and what speed you are moving at, but getting counter steering nailed will be the best thing you can do for your riding skills - otherwise you will basically be fighting the bike around corners.

Other good things to learn are braking skills and to make sure to keep accelerating around and out of corners.

Just my $0.02.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I started leaning into the curve after reading Lee Parks and Keith Code. On my Triumph Bonneville at least. "try to touch the inside grip with your nose."

Thrilling for sure! At least till you're out hot-doggin' in the foothills and a coyote jumps DIRECTLY out in front while in mid turn.

However, the CG of the Triumph is much higher that my Softail Deluxe. Being lighter it also responds to body position. The Deluxe seems to act better with a bit of counter lean. For the most part, it's heft doesn't seem to be severely influenced by my 170lb body weight.

I'm not gonna argue with it. I just give it what it wants. I never win those arguments anyway

Old 03-09-2016, 04:25 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

So you going to change your riding style after 50 yrs.?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I'm glad I learned how to ride before I knew any of this stuff.

The following 4 users liked this post by 0maha:
Beaux (03-09-2016), indiandave (03-10-2016), RandyL (03-09-2016), sixguns (03-14-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 04:43 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

You got far more riding experience than I got but I will try to add my experience FWIW.

I use the shift-body-weight technique. Due to the limited lean angle of my bike (lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in front) to me, leaning into the curves always includes a "pre-leaning" step which basically is to judge how far the curve is and move my but* forward from seat bucket (almost sitting on the seat nose) and losen my grip to the handlebars.

Once approaching the curve, I shift my body to the side and into the curve while applying pressure on the handlebar grip on the side of the turn (i.e. press left handlebar when making left turn in the curve). Again I try not to lean my bike too much due to the limited lean angle but shifting my weight moves the COG to balance the bike.

I do look like riding in a very weird posture almost hanging off the bike while doing this (as one of my friends told me ), but hey it works making 70mph peg/exhaust scrapping turns in the mountain twisties.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I'm glad I learned how to ride before I knew any of this stuff.

ME, too! I've honestly never heard of "counter leaning", but I just ride...

Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
So you going to change your riding style after 50 yrs.?
I am never too old to learn, just because I have done something one way, does not mean I am not open to new ways. I asked the question to learn what other riders are doing.
I may not stray from my techniques, and I may try something new to me.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:22 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Counter leaning? Sounds like a very bad idea.

Quick Reply: Leaning