General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang I Miss My Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:59 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts
Default Dang I Miss My Bike

Well it was the main shaft bearing that went out on my 07 6 speed transmission, and boy howdy, it's going to cost a pretty penny, for it to be rebuilt. Anyway, it will sure be worth it to me, once I get it back. 400.00 for the rebuild kit, plus 100.00 an hour for labor, and I should get it back any day now. It has been in the shop since the 15th, and I am just about climbing the walls. I really don't know how all of you northern people can live, without your bikes being ready to roll at any given moment during the winter months.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:04 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Cold weather means it's time to shoot something.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:14 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

My bike is ready to roll at any given moment year round. Just unplug the battery tender (when it's plugged in for an indefinate period of time in those winter months.) I don't think I've ever had a full month where I didn't get some opportunity to ride. Though I'll ride in any temp we get. It's the rain that I don't like to ride in....yeah, I live in Oregon too.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by gotnspikes
My bike is ready to roll at any given moment year round. Just unplug the battery tender (when it's plugged in for an indefinate period of time in those winter months.) I don't think I've ever had a full month where I didn't get some opportunity to ride. Though I'll ride in any temp we get. It's the rain that I don't like to ride in....yeah, I live in Oregon too.
My wife is from Oregon maybe that is why she has put up with me all these years.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:39 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,155 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Dang that sucks...I thought they squared away most of the bearing issue on the 6 speeds by late '06.
I had an early '06 and redid the IPB twice.

How many miles on the clock?

Pro's 'n cons to north and south...each has good 'n bad. Similar to Got'n'Spikes mentioned above...I rarely go more than 4 weeks without a ride. I think one brutal winter was a 6 week stretch. This past winter my Shovelhead didn't want to start one cold month so I fired up the wifes Sporty and went for a rip!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

When my son's went out on his 06 Street Bob he got the Baker version and had the job done in his garage in less than three hours. Total cost just under $50.

The stuff just unfastens and refastens with lefty loosy righty tighty. It's not brain surgery.

All 19 of mine are so ready to roll all the time. So that from last Nov. 1 to date I have over 11,000 miles of wonderful winter adventure. I do 30 to 40K miles a year. How many do you southern riders do?

Riders need to get out of their heads that where one lives determines how much riding is done. Having passion for riding, being retired and having the resources are the more important factors to how much one rides.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-29-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Dang that sucks...I thought they squared away most of the bearing issue on the 6 speeds by late '06.
I had an early '06 and redid the IPB twice.

How many miles on the clock?

Pro's 'n cons to north and south...each has good 'n bad. Similar to Got'n'Spikes mentioned above...I rarely go more than 4 weeks without a ride. I think one brutal winter was a 6 week stretch. This past winter my Shovelhead didn't want to start one cold month so I fired up the wifes Sporty and went for a rip!
I was just bs-ing about the up north thing, but I was thinking about how people that have snow on the ground for long spells, and cant ride. I have been without my bike since the 15th and I think I am going bonkers. My bike has 57000 on the clock and my bike has seen some hard miles with a heavy load to tote.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,155 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
When my son's went out on his 06 Street Bob he got the Baker version and had the job done in his garage in less than three hours. Total cost just under $50..
I did the Baker on the first fix. It didn't stick...and made a different noise that didn't agree with me. A month later I went and put in an '07 IPB and that held for anutter 2 years til I sold that one.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 PM
ripn
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Well it was the main shaft bearing that went out on my 07 6 speed transmission, and boy howdy, it's going to cost a pretty penny, for it to be rebuilt. Anyway, it will sure be worth it to me, once I get it back. 400.00 for the rebuild kit, plus 100.00 an hour for labor, and I should get it back any day now. It has been in the shop since the 15th, and I am just about climbing the walls. I really don't know how all of you northern people can live, without your bikes being ready to roll at any given moment during the winter months.
I won't lie to you, it sucks at times. I guess technically we could ride year round if powering thru snow and -20* w/o windchill sounded appealing. Personally I live vicariously thru you guys and read all about the suffering endured through those cold 40-50* rides.
I feel for you w/ your trans issues, I am dealing w/ similar on my '06. Good Luck.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:52 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Now for the question of the day. Who's oil were you using when the trans went bad? Harley's recommended stuff, or aftermarket high price tag oil? And what wt?.,,

Quick Reply: Dang I Miss My Bike