General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip out west, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Brocklee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip out west, need advice!

Been a while since I've posted, but I love hearing from you guys. Anyway, I'm heading out west in June and wondered if any of you guys have ridden these roads. Going to ride pikes peak, 4 corners, Yellowstone, Going to the sun highway, and bear tooth pass. My main concern is weather. I'm from Ohio, and I know it'll be warm here by then. Leaving the first weekend in June, and I'll be out for 12 days. Have any of you guys been out there around this time of year? On longer trips I usually ride in shorts, but I'm getting the idea that it's still going to be pretty cold out there at this time of year. My main concerns are riding through Glacier National park, and the bear tooth. Any help is appreciated. Also, if you have other ideas that'd be great too. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:09 AM
NCTRLR
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bear tooth and Glacier will most likely still have snow. Nights are still cool at that low 50's as night time highs. So do not leave home without cold weather gear and layer as you will be peeling off warm stuff around mid day.

We did glacier the same trip a few years ago labor day weekend so early sept. Most nights were in the 40's. Woke up to it snowing in Glacier one morning while temp back home in SD were still in mid 60's. I would expect similar in early June.

The following users liked this post:
Brocklee (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 04:45 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

You'll crossing the continental divide, even in warm weather it gets a chill.
http://www.almanac.com/weather/longr...%20Yellowstone
https://www.windyty.com/?2016-03-30-...965,-108.276,6
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...ge.-1.-1.1.gif
I'm heading through there around the 10th, heading to MO.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I would call and check road conditions before I headed up the high elevations you listed. Each year is different but I've seen roads closed due to snow in early June. It will be cold, enjoy a safe ride!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 AM
LockAndLoad
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like a pretty amazing trip! Enjoy and be safe

If you happen to be going through Omaha, feel free to plan on stopping here and resting up. There's plenty of room in the garage, tools and even a power washer. I'm less than 2 miles from a nice Dealership if something happens and you need parts or service.

PM me for contact info if you happen to be heading through here, even if you only want a "just in case" contact.

Have fun!

Brocklee (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I left my brothers place at Crested Butte, Co it was 34 By the time I rolled into Dodge City it was in the 90's
Dress in layers

Old 03-30-2016, 07:21 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Take some of everything. You will get cold, hot, wet, and possibly snowed on here in Colorado. That's all in the same day.

The following 3 users liked this post by sandrooney:
Brocklee (03-30-2016), guido4198 (01-29-2020), skratch (01-28-2020)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

My Wife and I did a similar trip last year. Started out with a planned route, but after riding in rain for an entire day decided that our route would be determined by the weather. After each day of riding we would sit down determine the weather pattern for the next, set a course and make reservations. A good weather app that shows an accurate radar is invaluable. I was also fortunate enough to be riding two-up with a great navigator to advise what was ahead. We passed through the Southwest in early July, the folks in Santa Fe called it their Monsoon season, rain rolls in fast and hard then its gone. The only reservations made six months in advance we had to cancel. Stayed the night in Idaho Falls, weather was calling for 35-50 mph wind gusts and temps in the low 30's by the next morning, unbelievable as it was 85 when we arrived in Jackson.

soldierbot (01-28-2020)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Brocklee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Here in Ohio we have a saying, "Don't like the weather? Wait an hour, because it's going to change." Sounds like it's even worse out there. Thanks for the tips on what to bring. I've ridden the smokies and Appalachians more times than I can count. It's always hot so I ride in shorts/tennis shoes. Sounds like this trip will be boots/jeans for the most part. Guess I'm glad I have plenty of storage! LockAndLoad, thanks so much for the hospitality! We're going through Kansas on the way out, and South Dakota on the way back, but I appreciate the offer! I'm doing a little research now on road closures, hoping they're open by late spring. Also getting new tires before I leave. You touring guys had much luck with the Michelin Commander II's? Thanks again fellas!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

A day or two before departure check the road cams of the areas you'll be heading through- they give closures, detours, and road work too.
http://www.webcamlocator.com/traffic...am_locator.htm

The following 2 users liked this post by Sling Blade 14:
Brocklee (03-30-2016), mnbnd (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Trip out west, need advice!