General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planing for a group trip with GPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Planing for a group trip with GPS

We are going to do a Pre-ride to plan for a future trip. I have an iPhone and iPad with the Apple maps program and I have Googles Maps also.
The question is will either of these programs save a “Driven Rout”? (
I know that you can select a start and a destination but that doesn’t always show the best bike routs.

Thanks
Ken

Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Google's, My Tracks will do that; however, I just got a message on my phone that it's going away on April 30, 2016.

Perhaps doing a search for "apps similar to My Tracks"

Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Harley-Davidson's Ride Planner will do what you want. Configure your routes on their website and download the app to your phone. You will be able to access the map and route you created on the web from the app.

HD Ride Planner website:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...-overview.html

Apple App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/offi...3130?ls=1&mt=8

Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...on.rideplanner

You can also sync routes to a GPS fro the HD Ride Planner. If you download the .GPX file you can share it with other riders with GPS's. I'm not sure if Apple Maps or Google Maps are compatible with .GPX files but most GPS's are. A GPS will also let you set "Waypoints" which would meet you needs.

Also, Apple Maps and Google Maps use your phone's data plan. I am grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan. I made a 340 mile trip using google maps in satellite view and used 7+ gigabytes of data in less than 6 hours.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a luddite so here's my unwanted advice. Get a good atlas. Take a highlighter and mark off anything, everywhere, that seems interesting. Then just go, over planning sucks the joy out of a trip.

Never take a map (or GPS route) of where you plan to go. Bring an atlas for where you might end up. You don't know where you will end up until you get home.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks everyone, I'll look into HD Ride Planer. Using a map and Hi-lighter -- one good bump and we will never find our way back .
Ken

Old 04-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Tripit

"Description
Organize your travel plans in one place with TripIt® from Concur. Simply forward your travel confirmation emails to plans@tripit.com and TripIt automagically creates a detailed daily itinerary for every trip.

Key Features
• Forward hotel, airline, car rental, and restaurant confirmation emails to plans@tripit.com to create an instant itinerary (If you use Gmail or Google Apps, it happens automatically)
• Access travel plans anytime (even offline), on any device—now including Apple Watch
• Get directions and maps for each destination
• Sync trip plans with your Apple Calendar, Outlook, or Google Calendar
• Add or edit plans
• Share some (or all) of your trip plans via email or social media."

Old 04-07-2016, 12:36 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
I'm a luddite so here's my unwanted advice. Get a good atlas. Take a highlighter and mark off anything, everywhere, that seems interesting. Then just go, over planning sucks the joy out of a trip.

Never take a map (or GPS route) of where you plan to go. Bring an atlas for where you might end up. You don't know where you will end up until you get home.
Heheheh, you probably still have the newspaper delivered and think technology makes life harder!

Seriously? An atlas? On a bike??

Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Heheheh, you probably still have the newspaper delivered and think technology makes life harder!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG

I think you are missing the point of his post. "Just go". When you get to a crossroad flip a coin or see which way the wind is going.
The best rides are the ones where there is a general direction but not an etched in stone way.
Ride safe.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:30 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
I think you are missing the point of his post. "Just go". When you get to a crossroad flip a coin or see which way the wind is going.
The best rides are the ones where there is a general direction but not an etched in stone way.
Ride safe.
Yeah, except on rare occasions, "just go" is not my thing. IDK, maybe when I retire and don't really have any real schedule or responsibilities that might work out. But right now, I prefer having a basic destination in mind. AND on those rare occasions without a destination, I STILL like using the GPS to scout for twistys, etc. and avoid larger roads.

Haha, I guess I have a GPS dependency!

Quick Reply: Planing for a group trip with GPS