General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip to Phoenix\Scottsdale Area - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:28 AM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Trip to Phoenix\Scottsdale Area - Advice Please

My wife and I will be in Scottsdale in late June to help our daughter move. Recent college grad with a good job - more money available for chrome and horsepower.

We plan to incorporate a 3 or 4 day vacation - maybe Sedona. I also plan to rent a touring bike while there.

Would we be better off lodging in Scottsdale and taking day trips or picking a destination and staying there.

If you took day trips, where would you go?

If you picked a destination, is Sedona a good choice or would you recommend someplace else? Any particular hotels recommended?

Are there any roads in particular that are recommended?

Thanks much
Emil

Old 05-07-2016, 01:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Give a shout via PM to santajim or azrider. I've been to Phoenix many a time on business but never pleasure. I love it out there. It looks like as you go north, the riding and scenery would be better.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:24 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Be sure to hit Sedona, neat kinda quirky place.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Countryboy87
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather stay somewhere else other than Scottsdale but I live in Arizona so that might make things different for me. Check out all of highway 89 there is lots of good riding from wickenburg all the way to flagstaff.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

By late June the temperature will be high, 100+ so spending time in the high country is suggested. Lots of good riding up there, I'd suggest a trip that includes the Devils Highway 191 starting at Morenci heading north. Then find your way to Showlow, then head to Payson-Strawberry. Now decide if your into standing on corner in Winslow AZ by heading north or continue on 260 to Sedona. From Sedona take 89A to Prescott continue on 89A south through Yarnell pickup 93 into Wikenburg hit 60 E taking that to 74 Carefree Hwy this will Get you to the north edge of Scottsdale. This trip is a 2-3 day ride depending on stops and sightseeing. Enjoy Arizona ride safe

Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer

Thanks to all for the help.
Best wishes
Emil

Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Emil Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Be sure to hit Sedona, neat kinda quirky place.
How much time is needed three to do it justice?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Prepare to cook,it'll be scorching by then,but by all means rent that bike and ride.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:18 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil Wide Glide
My wife and I will be in Scottsdale in late June to help our daughter move. Recent college grad with a good job - more money available for chrome and horsepower.

We plan to incorporate a 3 or 4 day vacation - maybe Sedona. I also plan to rent a touring bike while there.

Would we be better off lodging in Scottsdale and taking day trips or picking a destination and staying there.

If you took day trips, where would you go?

If you picked a destination, is Sedona a good choice or would you recommend someplace else? Any particular hotels recommended?

Are there any roads in particular that are recommended?

Thanks much
Emil
We have a home in Prescott Valley. It's too bad I'm in Canada right now and will be in June, Id take you on a few nice rides. If your planning to visit Sedona. The red rock in Sedona is beautiful. I would also head to Cottonwood and then to Jerome. Jerome is a Historic mining town. Lots of visitors come there during the year. www.azjerome.com From Jerome I would head to Prescott Valley on 89A. 20 miles of scenic mountain switchbacks. Very nice riding.

If you have time and haven't seen the Grand Canyon I would go there. It's a 2 hour ride from Prescott Valley. Turn north at Williams on I40.

Enhiy your planning.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Sedona's beautiful. The traffic will be a pain once you get close, but the drive up there's nice, even on the 17. If you want a good ride, take Carefree Highway (AZ 74) west to where it ends, go north to Wickenburg, and take from there through Yarnell to Prescott. Some real nice twisties.

Quick Reply: Trip to Phoenix\Scottsdale Area - Advice Please