General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft of Harleys compared to other brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:23 PM
ShadowforNow
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Theft of Harleys compared to other brands

How much more likely is a Harley to be stolen compared to other brands of bikes but not including sport bikes?

Possible examples would be: Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Diavel. Triumph models like the Boneville, their adventure-tourer, speed/street triple. Japanese bikes like their adventure-tourers, standards/nakeds (ex: Suzuki Bandit, Honda CB1000R, Yamaha FZ1), Japanese Harley clones like the Honda Shadow, Yamaha/Star Bolt, Raider, Kawasaki Vaquero, Suzuki M90/M109. Don't consider dual-purpose bikes as I know they are stolen a lot due to their light weight.

Of the Harleys that are stolen, how many of them (maybe what percentage of them approximately) are stolen by members of motorcycle clubs? How many by theft rings not related to motorcycle clubs?

Years ago I knew a couple of law enforcement officers. Both of them told me if a professional thief wants your car, he's got it. Is that the same with motorcycles?

Personal experience: Years ago my dual-purpose bike was stolen but it wasn't stripped for parts or shipped off to another country. About a year after the theft, the police found it when it was used for a burglary. It was in excellent shape when I had it but terrible shape when I saw it in the police lot. It was hard to believe only a year passed by.

Ride safe all and protect your property.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Of the Harleys that are stolen, how many of them (maybe what percentage of them approximately) are stolen by members of motorcycle clubs? How many by theft rings not related to motorcycle clubs?
Really?
SAMCRO, the Mayans, Devils Tribe, Grim Bastards,,, it's a toss up,, I'd say their about even.
Could be the Biz Lats or the Nordics too.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:05 AM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,249 Likes on 1,130 Posts

What do we look like, a bunch of cops!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:04 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Certain Harleys are too heavy to steal. Lighter bikes are easier because of the obvious light weight. The only way they get stolen is if you are stupid and accidently left your keys in or around the bike itself. It would take an average of 4 guys to lift and steal a bike , while it would only take 2 people to steal one

Old 05-13-2016, 01:05 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,540 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Really?
SAMCRO, the Mayans, Devils Tribe, Grim Bastards,,, it's a toss up,, I'd say their about even.
Could be the Biz Lats or the Nordics too.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:34 AM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
How much more likely is a Harley to be stolen compared to other brands of bikes but not including sport bikes?

100% more likely, insurance is difficult to get for that reason. If you see a Harley, it likely isn't insured.

Possible examples would be: Ducati Monster, Multistrada, Diavel. Triumph models like the Boneville, their adventure-tourer, speed/street triple. Japanese bikes like their adventure-tourers, standards/nakeds (ex: Suzuki Bandit, Honda CB1000R, Yamaha FZ1), Japanese Harley clones like the Honda Shadow, Yamaha/Star Bolt, Raider, Kawasaki Vaquero, Suzuki M90/M109. Don't consider dual-purpose bikes as I know they are stolen a lot due to their light weight.

Wait, isn't the CBR1000R a sport bike? You said to exclude those. That throws my math way off... Carry the 1 -493%

All of them. Every motorcycle club member I have ever met has been riding a stolen bike. LEO clubs are notorious in the MC world for leading motorcycle theft rings.

Years ago I knew a couple of law enforcement officers. Both of them told me if a professional thief wants your car, he's got it. Is that the same with motorcycles?

Nope, if a pro thief wants your bike, he is going to steal the Honda Civic sitting next to it. I leave my keys with my bike for just this reason. Since it is likely to be stolen by amateur motorcycle thieves, I want to make it as easy as possible for them.

Personal experience: Years ago my dual-purpose bike was stolen but it wasn't stripped for parts or shipped off to another country. About a year after the theft, the police found it when it was used for a burglary. It was in excellent shape when I had it but terrible shape when I saw it in the police lot. It was hard to believe only a year passed by.

13 of my last 15 Harley's were used in drive by shootings by people associated with Mothers Against Drunk Driving. I have theories about that but I can't prove it so I'll keep them to myself.

Ride safe all and protect your property.
See answers above.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Certain Harleys are too heavy to steal. Lighter bikes are easier because of the obvious light weight. The only way they get stolen is if you are stupid and accidently left your keys in or around the bike itself. It would take an average of 4 guys to lift and steal a bike , while it would only take 2 people to steal one
I remember seeing a list of the most stolen motorcycles by manufacturer, and Harley was near the bottom. Of course this list included all of the models of the manufacturer, so sport bikes and off-road bikes were included.

What the pros steal has more to do with demand and how fast they can turn the parts into cash, not the weight of the bike. If a pro wants to steal your bike, its going to be stolen and stolen very quickly. It won't matter whether your bike is locked, chained, or super glued to a wall, it will be gone in under 60 seconds. Locked bikes and chains will deter a "joy rider" type thief, as time is a factor to them.

Pros don't steal bikes to ride, they are stolen for profit. And there is more profit, and less risk, in selling stolen parts than stolen bikes. Japanese bikes may be comparably inexpensive to buy, but many of their parts are more expensive than Harleys because they come as components, not just an individual part.

As far as "Motorcycle Clubs" being a major factor in stolen bikes, I think they have developed more profitable ways to get by. The guys who steal bikes are the same ones who will steal cars or break into a house. They're scumbags.

The following users liked this post:
ShadowforNow (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:16 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Opportunity plays a much greater part than motorcycle brand. If you live in downtown Baltimore, and leave any bike on the sidewalk in front of your crib, chances are it will not be there in the morning.

On the other hand, if you live in a gated community with a guard at the gate, and keep your bike in an enclosed garage, it's a pretty good chance that your bike will still be there in the am.

Outlaw Motorcycle Clubs are no longer in the stolen bike business. They make too much money selling T-Shirts to dimwits at bike shows and online.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:00 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

The top 10 most stolen motorcycles in 2015 by manufacturer were American Honda Motor Co. Inc. (8,674 thefts), Yamaha Motor Corp. (7,214), American Suzuki Motor Corp. (6,065), Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (4,920), Harley Davidson, Inc. (4,416), Taotao Group Co. Ltd (2,757), KTM Sportmotorcycle AG (630), Astronautical Bashan (620), Jonway Group Co., Ltd. (520) and Kymco U.S.A., Inc. (512).
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../15/405563.htm

My guess is off road bikes make up the vast majority of these stolen bikes. I have been around MX racing with my son from the time he was 5 and active on several MX/offroad forums, hearing about stolen bikes is not uncommon in that community. I guess one of the man reasons is the bikes are not registered/tagged via the DMV and as a result a lot easier for criminals to flip. The other reason is due to the fact they are light weight, lack alarms or locks they are an easier target

Last edited by Mxdad; 05-13-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:52 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

MADD Mothers!

Quick Reply: Theft of Harleys compared to other brands