General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cali to Phoenix relo....question about riding there.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 11:46 AM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cali to Phoenix relo....question about riding there.

I am seriously considering relo'ing to Phoenix area for a position. It wouldn't be full up-root from Cali, but I would live there 80% of the time.

I currently commute on my bike about 90% of the time in Cali. Number 1 reason why is because of lane-splitting. It don't enjoy it but saves me good solid hour per day.

I got a couple questions:

1) Not being able to lane-split, still a time saver being on a bike vs. driving?
2) Heat....how the in hell do you guys manage it? I was just there this past week for work, 115 degrees...hot damn!!! And June just started.

Also, whats Goodyear like? Seems cheap and nice, but a bit far from Tempe, where I would need to go everyday.

I prefer to be on the west side of Phoenix, so I can just jump on the 10 to get to Cali just a little bit fast when I have to.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:38 PM
jcole
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Goodyear, and love it. Nice community, close to I-10, and everything you need as far as restaurants/shopping/ brewery's.

Commuting from Goodyear to Tempe you will be in rush hour both ways, but when I ride my bike, I'm always in the carpool lane, so never really get stuck in the traffic more that a few slow downs. But yes, riding a bike in the carpool lane will save a lot of time.

As far as the heat, ya it's oppressive , but you'll live. LOTS and LOTS of water, cooling vest, and swimming pools

Last edited by jcole; 06-05-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

An instructive map of the solar system relative to Arizona:

Attached Thumbnails Cali to Phoenix relo....question about riding there.-image.png  
Old 06-05-2016, 12:52 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I miss lane splitting, but it isn't a tremendous time-saver here like it is in Cali. It would still be great during rush hour, though.

The heat, yeah, stay hydrated. Full-face helmet helps a lot, anything you can use to deflect hot air from your skin. It's like riding into a blast furnace. Not so bad once you get moving, but sitting at a stop light sucks *****.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:11 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I work nights and stop commuting on bike around this time every year. I just can't show up at work a sweaty pig. I have a 40 min trip straight into afternoon sun...

Old 06-05-2016, 01:53 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Buy a car with air conditioning. And get a place on the east side.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:20 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a mesh jacket, summer gloves, full face that open in front, breathable boots. It was 120* yesterday. I live 2.5 miles from work and i get there around 7 am so not sweaty but after that im sweating. I'm not the only nut in Bullhead City that rides in the summer but it does require proper hydration and start before leaving the house. Heat stroke can be avoided by not waiting to feel like you need to drink water but staying ahead of the curve.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 06BlackWG
I wear a mesh jacket, summer gloves, full face that open in front, breathable boots. It was 120* yesterday. I live 2.5 miles from work and i get there around 7 am so not sweaty but after that im sweating. I'm not the only nut in Bullhead City that rides in the summer but it does require proper hydration and start before leaving the house. Heat stroke can be avoided by not waiting to feel like you need to drink water but staying ahead of the curve.
Forgot this. Don't wait 'til you're thirsty. Unless you're pissing clear water, drink more.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:23 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. If I do this, I may have to take it a little slow and easy in beginning. 120 degrees is no joke!!!

Where I'm looking to live, I'll be about 30 miles away from work.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:25 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,588 Likes on 8,630 Posts

I live in San Diego and have friend near Phoenix. Love riding and camping there - high country Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff. Recreation in Tonto Natl Forest. My favorite is along the Mongolian Rim. But not in summer heat. Great rest of year. Commuting from Goodyear to Tempe through main artery of Phoenic in even a car would be my concern. Most drivers are relocated Southern Californians. Advise east side closer to Tempe. Gilbert is my favorite.

Last edited by 71on72; 06-06-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Cali to Phoenix relo....question about riding there.