General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:59 AM
twp98
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach?

We are going to Myrtle beach at the end of the month for my daughter to shoot at a World Archery competition. ( I'm am very proud of her and her team )
Anyway on to my question. We are going to spend the week and I thought I would ride the bike down and ride some while they were on the beach. Every condo and house my wife checked says no bikes or trailers. Why is this? This sucks I have been planning on doing this ever since we knew worlds were going to be there.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:01 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,240 Likes on 11,124 Posts

I reckon the "no bikes" rules at Myrtle Beach has to do with violence and vandalism in past years.
Like this..
http://counton2.com/2016/05/30/myrtl...t-unfortunate/
and this..
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rally/9596861/

Last edited by upflying; 06-07-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by twp98
We are going to Myrtle beach at the end of the month for my daughter to shoot at a World Archery competition. ( I'm am very proud of her and her team )
Anyway on to my question. We are going to spend the week and I thought I would ride the bike down and ride some while they were on the beach. Every condo and house my wife checked says no bikes or trailers. Why is this? This sucks I have been planning on doing this ever since we knew worlds were going to be there.
Do not know if you have ever been to Myrtle Beach but there is limited parking and they will tow your ***. That's way no trailers. Never had a problem with my bike. Never seen that before. This is why I rent a house. I like to take my boat with me. Need somewhere to park it.

The following users liked this post:
Brian MD. (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I reckon the "no bikes" rules at Myrtle Beach has to do with violence and vandalism in past years.
Like this..
http://counton2.com/2016/05/30/myrtl...t-unfortunate/
and this..
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rally/9596861/
That crap for the most part only happens one weekend a year and we all know why.

The following users liked this post:
btharris24 (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,149 Likes on 1,510 Posts

There are 2x bike weeks down there.
"Sport Bike Week"...aka (there's another name for it...you can Google it). Last weekend of May. Non-Harleys. Myrtle Beach locals sorta...well...have dreaded it. Many places shut down, got tired of their businesses getting trashed. Hotel/condo rentals getting trashed, finding furniture on the beaches...including mattresses, the units pissed in and crapped in, restaurants have whole groups just getup and leave without paying.

The traditional Harley bike week suffers the fallout. Many locals love that week...but they're still reeling from cleanup from the sport bike week.

I spent quite a bit of time talking to locals down there a few years ago when I was down there for transition week.

While you're down there, drive south about 15 minutes towards Murrels Inlet..and each lunch here....FANtastic place!
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Carolina.html

Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,240 Likes on 11,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishonsc
That crap for the most part only happens one weekend a year and we all know why.
Sure we all know why but you can't make rules for "one group of people" and not enforce the same rules for a different group of people.
http://www.thestate.com/news/local/c...e81995257.html

Old 06-07-2016, 10:35 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
The traditional Harley bike week suffers the fallout. Many locals love that week...but they're still reeling from cleanup from the sport bike week.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Carolina.html
Luckily, the Harley week is before the "other" bike week so you can get in and out before the hijinx starts.

I'd call the place you plan on staying and see what they can do for you. By now they've cleaned up the mess left behind.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:46 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

or you could look for a place in North Myrtle Beach....more user friendly!!

Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 AM
funktekk
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My family and I have lived in the Myrtle area for the last 5 years and love it here.

My wife just became IDPA certified (edit: I mean NASP, IDPA is our gun competitions) and will be starting an archery program at her school this year. She is excited about going up to see the Worlds.

The anti-trailer/bike thing on the rentals is most likely left over from Bikefest, or Black Bike Week as it is called on all the event fliers and t-shirts. I would call the renters and ask to see if it still applies to this week.

If that doesn't work call the Harley dealership. Both north and south locations have an abundance of room that only gets used during the rallies. They might be willing to help you out.

And if that doesn't work, you can use my driveway. I live on the southside so it might not be too convenient, but I'd hate to see someone miss out on enjoying riding around here.

If you need any other help around town please just shoot me a message.

Last edited by funktekk; 06-07-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Kinda silly since on King's Hwy (bus 17) at 26th St is probably the worlds biggest unused parking lot, it has acres of parking lot and nothing at all in it. Never could figure that one out. We always stayed at hotels or the KOA, never had a trailer or bike issue there.

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach?