General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS's

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:03 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts
Default GPS's

After looking at the new Harleys and Indians with their 6 and a half and seven inch GPS's. Hmm? I can't justify buying a new bike just for that, especially when the two I have are set up just right now and are just getting broken in. A 2010 FLHTK and a 2008 KLR650
I can buy a 6 inch Garmin auto GPS with traffic, voice commands, pinch to zoom, adjustable brightness screen for the bright sun etc. for $165.
Why are the motorcycle specific GPS's $6-800? I get it that they're waterproof and maybe build to a anti vibration rougher standard.
So, are any of you using auto GPS's on your bikes. If so, how are they working out for you? And how and where did you mount them? Seems that the handle bars just shake too much for any GPS.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 01-01-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:15 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

The new bike will come with the M8 engine, better suspension, etc,

If you have a smart phone, download a mapping application that stores map locally that way it still works even if you don't have cell service. That is by far the the most economical thing to do with the added benefit of device consolidation.

The high dollar Zumo has a swappable battery whereas as an automotive type that sells for $100 does not. Sure, it's water proof, resistant to fuel vapor, glove friendly, and a whole list of brochure filling features but at 8 times the price of a standard unit, it should be providing Road Head. Since it doesn't, it isn't worth it imho.

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 08:06 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a large screen garmin and ram x grip that I did use. But now with my iPhone 6 Plus and the data plans getting cheaper. The map app that came installed is second to none. Have a LG Bluetooth that wraps around your neck with ear buds. The app now will route you around wrecks automatically.
Something to think about

Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

I've been using my Iphone 5 with Sprint service with google maps and the other map apps, the maps just take forever to load. I was recently up in the Smoky mountains in Murphy NC and I was looking for the Walmart store to pick up some brews before heading up into dry Robbinsville. I was about a half mile from WM and the damn phone maps just don't load up. Same thing when taking the back country roads.
The Garmin 2689LMT six inch GPS gets it's signal not from cell phone towers but from satellite. So for $165 I was thinking of giving it a try. So why are the motorcycle GPS so damn expensive. Seems like the thing would shake too much if mounted on the bars. I was thinking about just using the suction cup thing and sticking on my gas cap door.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 01-01-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Bowler Jerry
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered a Garmin 67 lm to use on Freewheeler and in RV, will have to find a way to mount on Freewheeler. Bought this GPS because the motorcycle and RV units were to expensive.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:29 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes that is the one area gps unit out perform's the cellphone Has a signal all the time. I also carry the an old fashion Atlas for backup

Old 01-01-2017, 09:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

my experience- I bought a nuvi on sale for my first foray into gps. was a nice unit, good size (though not as big as they are now), and a decent price. worked great. as long as it was overcast out. as soon as it was a sunny day, the screen was so washed out it was worthless. and that is where the motorcycle specific ones really shine, the screens are much brighter.

for what it's worth, you can buy a used garmin zumo for a pretty good price these days. even new, they can be had for around $300. while more than the auto unit, I think it's worth it.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 237 Likes on 145 Posts

I have a Tom Tom GPS mounted on my Ultra Glide with a Ram mount. The unit is nearly 9 years old, and works fine, except it is hard to see in the bright sun. The motorcycle specific units are expensive because they can be! Yes they are water resistant, and come with added features, but they do not add enough additional goodies to justify the price. The main feature is a brighter display.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:24 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Water resistant? Actually, waterproof. We were sidelined a full day due to torrential rains (edge of a hurricane) and my Zumo remained on my handlebars, outside, without a problem...
With my GPS and Butler maps I find the absolute best roads to ride. Also, a little local intel on occasion.
My retirement plans haven't changed due to the Zumo purchase, but I have one less thing to fret about on our cherished road trips...not every purchase ever made has to be "cheapest" first

The following users liked this post:
shekmark (01-04-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

I don't need a GPS 98% of the time. I thought when touring I could keep it plugged in the tourpac, my tourpac has a 12 volt outlet and stop and look at as needed, or stick it on with the suction cup to the chrome gas cap lid. It's a Garmin with a 6 inch screen for a $165.
I also have the Butler M/C maps. But their also In the tourpac when riding.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 01-02-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: GPS's