General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail custom leaning to the left

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
dayv
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail custom leaning to the left

I have had my softail custom 2007 in the shop 3 time under 1000 miles . the problem i am having is it leans to the left i have had the lowering kit put on and a chrome swing arm when i bought it . has anyone had this problem of the bike leaning to the left?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Default RE: softail custom leaning to the left

What do you mean leaning to the left? While riding? When you let go of the bars?
I think it's probably because of the primary weight.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
dayv
3rd Gear

yes when riding if i let go of the bars it will lean to the left bad and if i letgo of the left side it will lean also

Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
dayv
3rd Gear

Harley dosent think it is the primary weight but they havent gave me an answer on what it is yet.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is actually fairly common and it is related to primary/transmission/rear tire alignment. At least it was back in the days of Evolution motors and I don't know why it would change with Twin Cams. The problem is most likely related to the fact that in order to run a wider tire, they've offset the primary and moved it further to the left in the frame. Chances are Harley actually engineered this and your bike just has bad alignment issues.

Another thing that can cause it is if your fork tubes are tweaked or even if your rear tire is not running true in the swingarm. You can check this with a straight edge fairly easy. In the case of your tires not running true, due to the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheel, it will force the bike to assume the stance that is perfectly in line with the wheel. Make sense?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

They always lean to the left when they are on the jiffy stand. You have to ride it, I'm only kidding. I think it is mainly because of the weight of the primary sticking out on that side of the bike. I thought the same thing as I noticed the bike wanted to drift to the left if I let go of the bars. I also though allignment, but after I changed my rear tire I checked allignment on the rear tire and I made a little adjustment (not much) but it didn't change anything, if I let go of the bars it still drifts to the left. I'd have to say it is due to the weight on the left side of the bike.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
dayv
3rd Gear

thanks for all the input, Im taking it back to the dealer and let them work on it again I don't really wont to pay $26000 for a bike that leans left.....

Old 06-20-2007, 03:14 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

They just do it. Not too bad though. I ride a Softail Deluxe and have riden Fatboys that so a bit of left turn when riding hands free. Just sit a little to the right and your fine.

Mark

Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
scremineaglesoftail0
Cruiser

thanks for all the input, Im taking it back to the dealer and let them work on it again I don't really wont to pay $26000 for a bike that leans left.....

you payed $26000 for a custom?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 Fatboy runs true with my hands off the bars. I have known for6 months that the new Fatboy is off center. All you have to do is look to see the front wheel is offset in the front forks. Don't know about the other new softails though. Thought it was only the 07 Fatboy.

Quick Reply: softail custom leaning to the left