General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Texian
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

The following has been resolved to my 110% satisfaction. Andy Long,Owner, has proven to me he is dedicated to a fun and effective School.
Andy is a very nice person to deal with. Feel comfortable in checking out his MSF School.

I could really use some input and opinions. I don't know if this is what I should have expected or not.
[/align]
[/align]I have been out of riding since the late 70's,got my M/C license 44 years ago at 14.
[/align]
[/align]I bought a 1200C June 25th and thought taking a MSF course would be a good idea.
[/align]I signed my son,16 yrs. old,and myself up.Today was the first day of two.
[/align]
[/align]First part of today was classroom and the after lunch to the riding range.The range was beside a high school football stadium.16 of us in the class.
[/align]The bikes were lined up on one end of the lot and where the riding was to take place was at the far end. About 150 yards away and uphill
[/align]After going through the enginestarting/stopping exercise,it was time to go to the other end of the lot,150 yards away.
[/align]
[/align]We were told they had to be pushed there ! No exceptions,push them or your out.
[/align]
[/align]I explained that there was no way in hell I could physically could do it. I have COPD/emphysema. Asked if my son could do that for me,anybody else or even an instructor ride it over there. The answer was "NO".
[/align]
[/align]I asked what the ***** does pushing a M/C 150 yards uphill have to do with anything concerning safety or riding. Told me to push it or I'm out..
[/align]
[/align]I tried pushing it as far as I could..I quit before an ambulance would be needed.
[/align]
[/align]This just can't be right.
[/align]
[/align]Is this part of MSF and I'm just out of luck ???
[/align]

EDIT: After measurements the distance they REQUIRED we PUSH the bikes is 210 yards.

Top Gun
office: 834 Highland Villiage Rd., Highland Villiage,Tx 75077-6710
phone: 972-3176322 email- topgun@ridercourse.com fax- 866-889-9958
Contact- Andy & Doll Long

Courses offered at: Standridge Football Stadium,Carrollton,Tx (This is where my experience was at)
Birdville Stadium,North Richland Hills ,Tx [align=center][/align]

Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

Not going to offer any opinions on them wanting you to push your bike,but I think it would be a great idea to talk to your physician forabout how safe it is for you to be riding.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The MSF basic course is designed for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before, let alone sat on one. I wasn't there and won't speculate on whether there was any attitude being thrown around or not but they do have the final say.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I ddin't have to push the bike in my course. We had to "walk" the bike while massaging the clutch - engine was running. We were on a flat course the entire time.

I see the other points of view mentioned that perhaps you should get a Dr's OK to ride - but it isn't often you need to push the bike up a hill for a long distance.

Perhaps contacting MSF directly and asking them for their input?

edit: I don't think what they had you do is right... I keep thinking about this and the more I do, the more I have to say BS. There are an awful lot of XXXL guys out there riding (and XXXXL) and without any respitory problems I venture to guess they would have a problem with this as well. I mean no offense to the large folks out there.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they areteachin you to ride Hondas !!!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
narosar
Tourer

I was not there but based on your version it seems unreasonable. I took the MSF course this year and there was no pushing of the bike. It is their course but I would think if they have physical requirements for the course they should have given those in advance to avoid such a situation.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

A quick look through their curriculum on the their web page and I see nothing about pushing the bike. Might want to pose your question to the governing body so to speak. There is a link at the bottom of this page to send them an email: http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...e=Contact%20Us

FBL

Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 PM
FLHRCI_King
Advanced

I took the Harley Rider's Edge class and they did not make us push our bikes.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
robrm250
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats B.S. it happens in all walks of life,give someone a title and it goes to their head,just go riding for short rides,drive like everyone is going to hit you and step up your riding time as you feel comfortable.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Id have to call BS on this one too. I took the MSF corse about 5 years ago and there was no pushing of any bikes. The closest thing to that was when we had to "duck walk" the bike with only the clutch while sitting on the bike to go from one line to another. If they tell you your out of the class demand your money back and file a complaint with the BBB.

Chris

Quick Reply: Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???