General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with MS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with MS

Anybody ride that has MS. How does it effect your riding?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Riding with MS

A very close bro of mine rode with MS, he later slowly died of it and that's still one of my saddest memories.

For many years he was able to control his ride but in his last 3 years he could only ride an electric cart.

He kept his chin up the entire time, nobody ever saw him in a bad mood, I'm still impressed with that.

In his last 4-5 years the Doctors asked him to limit his beer to one per day...
So ol' Tom starting buying those Jugs of beer.
That was one cool bro...

Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Ha ha, gotta lovethose guys with a lust for life.... he he, 1 beer

Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
DanoTime
Cruiser

Of course I admire that, facing death with a smile.

"one more beer..." heheh.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife has had MS for 22 years, and is severely afflicted. Since MS can affect equilibrium and coordination quite early, I would expect riding days will be shortened dramatically, unless it is a very mild case.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
policepop
Advanced

Hey buddy, it all depends on what type of MS you've been diagnosed with. I've had RRMS for over 15 years, and I've owned bikes for most of that time, butI don't ride when it flares up. If you draw the short straw and have a more aggressive form of MS, the outcome could be totally different than what I deal with. Get with your neurologist, get on a treatment program, and stay on it! With my particular disease I take a daily injection, which isn't fun, but which hopefully cuts back on the number and severity of relapses. Good luck, and don't give up!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: policepop

Hey buddy, it all depends on what type of MS you've been diagnosed with. I've had RRMS for over 15 years, and I've owned bikes for most of that time, butI don't ride when it flares up. If you draw the short straw and have a more aggressive form of MS, the outcome could be totally different than what I deal with. Get with your neurologist, get on a treatment program, and stay on it! With my particular disease I take a daily injection, which isn't fun, but which hopefully cuts back on the number and severity of relapses. Good luck, and don't give up!
Have you heard of " Low Dose Naltrexone "

Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
policepop
Advanced

I have heard of it, but not beinga doctor I have no idea of it's effectiveness. I just did a little research on reading your question, and from what I could see it's a remarkable drug. Hell, I'm going to question my own doctor on my next visit, but I have learned that each persons symptons are unique to the individual, and the doctors prescribe appropriate meds to keep a person in remission as much as possible. By the way, what type of MS did you come down with, and at what age did your symptoms start? For many years I was having "wierd" problems, but it was only 5 years ago that I was actually diagnosed and put on "copaxone" injections.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 PM
XRP
Ultimate HDF Member

Just going through tests now, age 44. Weird stuff started about five years ago. Just wanted some insight to what may be and how to deal. Later, Claire

Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 AM
JSY
Advanced

I've had MS for the past 27 years and I've been riding for 30. I have moderate progressive MS. This past year Ian exacerbation and was out of work for 3 months. My neurologist was pissed at me because I've refused to take injections, now I inject myself with Rebif 3 times a week. Still riding and doing what ever I want to do. Best suggestion don't give up on life and just ride the bumps out.
Jeff

Quick Reply: Riding with MS