General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07s "Normal" clunking starter. Really?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:42 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 07s "Normal" clunking starter. Really?

My riding pal got his 07 RKC last July and is now only a few miles from reaching 40k on it. Here at home he had at least 2 Washington dealers tell him that the banging starter engagement sound was normal for the 07s. He just got back from a 10k trip which took him to the East coast and along the way only one dealer, where he was having a tire changed, said he should have that starter looked into. Well, on his way back, in Idaho, he had to have the bike hauled to an HD dealer one morning because the starter wasn't engaging any more. The dealer was great, stripping the clutch basket and starter assembly from a new bike and getting him back on the road in only 6 hours and under total warranty.
I guess the message is, that if it sounds bad it is bad and hope yours fails while under warranty.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
ironoxide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07s "Normal" clunking starter. Really?

Interesting...not a good sign for the rest of us! Yes, we all have starter knock!!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07s "Normal" clunking starter. Really?

Thats interesting. My friend is stuck out in rapid city tonite with the same problem. Made a clunk on his 07 SG since new, 3k miles on it now, and it acted up and has failed now today. Local dealer in wisc thought it was normal, and all their bikes did it. They even started up a bunch of them to confirm. On his trip, it started to not want to engage, as he put it, and a dealer he stopped at said it was fine. He was able to push start it a couple times, and was going to take it in to the shop in the am. and see what happens. Ill have to listen to my 07 and make sure Im not hearing it, as I havent noticed it.