General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting your license plate...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Painting your license plate...

Yesterday a friend of a friend had the coolest license plate on his bike. It was a custom plate but it was black and yellow like the old CA license plates from the 60's. I have read on here that if I can find one I can take it to the DMV and they will switch it with the one I have now, but it isn't easy to find one. This guy told me he painted his himself and it looked bitchin'. He said he had never had a problem with the law regarding it so I am trying to decide if I should do this. I don't have a vanity plate either. What do you think? If you are a LEO would seeing a bike with an older license plate style cause you to pull this person over?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:48 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Painting your license plate...

Nope. But I also have the ability to see the difference between the "intent" of the law, and the Letter of the law.

What I mean, is most Officers probably wouldn't mess with it. But, on the other hand, if the State wanted the plate to be black and yellow, it woulda been that color when ya got it !!

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 AM
auctioneer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Older style plates are only allowed on vehicles with historic registration here in MO. I bet you wouldn't make t very long without getting pulled over here if you were to paint the license plate.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

I have stopped someone with a painted custom plate before. He was on a blue and black Ultra. He took a piece of sheet metal, cut it to size, and painted the blue lettering on the a black background with the "Texas" at the top. He had the origional plate in one of the saddlebags (which had matching #'s). The origional looked like he drug it down the road a ways and was no longerlegible froma distance. he said he just made the other one to replace the origional until he could get a new one from theDMV.

I know 100% that he was full of it.... and he was in major violation of TX law. I really thoughtit was cool though, and he used his real LP #'s, so I let him go with a warning.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a lot of attention with my , dirty dinner plate

Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think that would fly. They'll stop you for the plate, and then while they're at it, the helmet, exhaust, and the color of your socks. Best to fly under the radar. IMO

Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM
spike95
Road Master

I don't know about where you live, but here in Texas you can use old plates so long as they match the vintage of the vehicle. At least that's what I've been told when looking into doing it for my dad's '51 Chevy. I doubt that they'll let you do that on a new bike.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CSI Topeka pretty much summed it up. Altering a plate is not allowed in any state. The intent of the law is to stop people from changing the numbers etc. But you would open yourself up for getting pulled over, and even getting a ticket. So you need to ask yourself, is it worth it? IMO it's not worth the hassel that could happen.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yesterday a friend of a friend had the coolest license plate on his bike. It was a custom plate but it was black and yellow like the old CA license plates from the 60's. I have read on here that if I can find one I can take it to the DMV and they will switch it with the one I have now, but it isn't easy to find one. This guy told me he painted his himself and it looked bitchin'. He said he had never had a problem with the law regarding it so I am trying to decide if I should do this. I don't have a vanity plate either. What do you think? If you are a LEO would seeing a bike with an older license plate style cause you to pull this person over?
I think I saw it or one like it in the parking lot at Bike Week. It caught my eye, but it's not something that makes or breaks the look of a bike.. Knowing how things are here in So-Cal, I think you would eventually get pulled over if you're riding a lot. But if you're otherwise legal, it would only be a fix-it ticket and maybe a fine.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Mine is a copy of the original plate placed on a flat bed scanner and printed of reflectorized paper on adhesive backing - it's a sticker. I do have the original plate. For some reason MN bike plates are larger than other states that I've seen. It sure makes it difficult to make it look like anything but a slab of tin bolted to the bike. I was talking to a MN trooper in Deadwood and he told me it wouldn't fly if he stopped me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21477/66BC7078569E406A9730294430145565.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Painting your license plate...