General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best first Harley for a beginner, she's my wife?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's the best first Harley for a beginner, she's my wife?

I'm going to pick up a small low torque dirt bike for my wife to start on. Then maybe something like a Honda 250 Rebel for the first street bike. I have her signed up for a driving class this next summer. Anyway we're allready looking at Harley's for her. She's five foot one inch tall. She's on her toes when she sits on our Heritage, 26.5 inch seat. She looks good on our Screaming Eagle Softail Springer, 21.5 inch seat. It may be a little two much for her first one though. What do you think would be best for her first one?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What's the best first Harley for a beginner, she's my wife?

I would suggest one of the Low Sportsters. Not because they're considered a "Girly bike"(I ride a Sportster myself) butbecause ofher size I think it would probably fit her best.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what does she like and feels comfortable on?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
stevodigitalfly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new sportster nightster is nice, its lower this year and good looking
after a time of riding then add mini apes and forward controls

[IMG]local://upfiles/45742/DBA191ADDDEC4328ABAE7BFFFBA68BD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLSTN or Softail Delux I think has the lowest seat high.

The Sporties have a better power to weight ratio and higher center of gravity... I'm not sure I'd call them a begginer's bike.

The Delux is a much more mellow ride, and although heavier, its lowered center of gravity makes it easier to deal with. Also more versitile in my opinion. Sportesters are for hot-roding around town. Fast and fun, not really a bigginer's bike in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 AM
nilro
Road Captain

a used one...

Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Hidalgo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Herr Monk

FLSTN or Softail Delux I think has the lowest seat high.

The Sporties have a better power to weight ratio and higher center of gravity... I'm not sure I'd call them a begginer's bike.

The Delux is a much more mellow ride, and although heavier, its lowered center of gravity makes it easier to deal with. Also more versitile in my opinion. Sportesters are for hot-roding around town. Fast and fun, not really a bigginer's bike in my opinion.
I agree TOTALLY with this. My wife has an 883L, and the seat height is great.......but it is DEFINITELY top heavy. She had "almost" gotten into trouble with it a couple of times because she got in an awkward position and the top-weight kicked in. The deluxe would be my bike of recommendation, if $$$ isn't a concern. Of course, the Sporty is 1/2 the price, but it in my opinion is not so much of a "beginner" bike as you might think on first observation.

Seat height is a great concern. When she has to muscle it backwards a few times she'll be glad she can plant both feet and push. Hard to do if you're not able to get a little leg bend.

BTW.....the little Rebel you mentioned is awesome for this task until she's ready for a bigger bike. GREAT little bike for beginning street riders. Just don't try to get her out on long excursions where constant 60 mph rides are the rule. They get a little tiring to ride at speed for long periods of time. The wife learned on one.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

My wife started out on an 883 L , after 2 years she moved up to a 1200C.
She almost went with the Deluxe which is very popular with ladies , but it was a bit too heavy for her, something to consider on a first bike.

The 1200C isa fun bike , and the Deluxe is too .. definetly not "girls bikes"

Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

I'd say go to the local dealer and have her sit on the different models. The center of gravity is low on most models and the power of the engine doesn't really matter since the rider controls that with the throttle. The most important thing is that she's comfortable and confinent in her riding abilities for the bike she's on. My wife is also 5'1" and rides a 1200 Sporty (lowered and raked). I'd definately recommend a bike with mid controls or floor boards. You can always add highway pegs to give her foot position options on longer rides.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Size is a matter of fit.

It plays a role in the bike, but think Harley guys tend to focus too much on size. It's about ride type, and power to weight ratio. A Ducati Monster has a smaller engine than the 1200... so what... no one is going to tell you that's a bigginer's bike. It takes some work to get the big V-Twin producing the same kind of power for their weight that the sporty does. Stock big V-Twins are pretty tame animals...

I like the used advice too. It will get dropped.

Quick Reply: What's the best first Harley for a beginner, she's my wife?