General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samson report

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Samson report

Some of you may be familiar with my Samson issues, most are probably not. Check out the original thread here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1696735/m...tm.htm#1696735

I finally got some new pipes, Bassani ProStreets, so the Samsons came off. Here's what I found.

The front pipe had a spiral crack just below the O² bung, all the way through. It came off in pieces as shown. Every place the heat shield was welded to the pipe, it cracked. A big radial crack at the rear mount bracket, all the way through. The rear pipe had a few cracks at weld joints too.

These pipes are a year and a half old!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
wydgage
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Samson report

oh, Wow... do you plan to send the pix to Samson? i know i would...

Old 12-09-2007, 09:51 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Serious welding issues! Take it to Samson bro. that ain't right!

Mimo.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
x2lee
Banned

I would send them an Email with the link to these pics on the HD forums. That would motivate me to make it right. Maybe they will
compensate you. Public forums draw attention. Our road washed out down here and the county said it was a private drive and
tho the washout was thier fault they said they couldnt fix it. I called News 12 and then called thecounty back and told them the local news, they call themselves "News 12 on your side" was OTW. The county had 3 dumptrucks here and a big trac hoe before the station got here. The county spokesman was on the news saying" it really wasnt our place to fix the road but it was an emergency situation and we felt like the residents needed us". bad publicity works wonders...
ORIGINAL: CraigC

Some of you may be familiar with my Samson issues, most are probably not. Check out the original thread here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1696735/m...tm.htm#1696735

I finally got some new pipes, Bassani ProStreets, so the Samsons came off. Here's what I found.

The front pipe had a spiral crack just below the O² bung, all the way through. It came off in pieces as shown. Every place the heat shield was welded to the pipe, it cracked. A big radial crack at the rear mount bracket, all the way through. The rear pipe had a few cracks at weld joints too.

These pipes are a year and a half old!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Certainly a quality control issue! I would also send them the photos along with a copy of your purchase reciept. Most likely, the warranty on those pipes wouldn't exceed one year at the most. You would probably be wasting your time, but, you don't know unless you try. Give it a shot, you got nothing to loose.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

Check out the original thread. Last time I called Samson, they hung up the phone on me. I don't expect them to do anything about it but I will send them an email this week with the pics attached.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigC

Last time I called Samson, they hung up the phone on me.
Now that is customer service!... cannot believe such things these days.

I'd send the e-mail, the photos and the link to you threads,

Good luck bro.

Mimo.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM
WaterHog
Road Captain

WOW, thanks, Im glad I didnt buy Samson BGIII. Sorry you had to learn for us all.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

according to his ad, he is the grandfather of pipes, this doesn't look good for the family tree. If this keeps up the product will end with him. I was looking for some slip on mufflers that were his. Guess I won't.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been happy with the quality of my Samson exhaustso far,fortunatelyI never had to deal with their customer service. My pipes are the Samson II, Rip Saws. They didn't weld the heat shields to the pipes on my model.
That sucks when you get a defective product and customer service tells you to stuff it. Your hassle with the company is good enough for me, not to give them any more of my business.
Tom

Quick Reply: Samson report