General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOLEN BIKES !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 AM
austiny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOLEN BIKES !!

So I am at the mechanics yesterday waiting for my new pipes, and there is a weird looking “Harley” on a lift in the back. This bike just did not look right, but being a RRB, I had to ask what it was?

The shop owner said that there was a ring of thieves stealing bikes and putting them together from lots of different parts. They shave the numbers off the bike, and put on new stickers with numbers, use engines from lots of different models even non Harleys. Slap on lots of after market parts, and put HD logos all over the bikes, shine them up, get new titles someway, and sell them off to newbies who do not know better.

The guy that bought this bike, bought it from a minister, who bought it from out of state.

The bike started haveing electrical problems, and the owner brought it in to be look at.
The mechanic said it had parts from many different bikes!
This particular bike was a big bagger that looked kind of like a softail.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 AM
MHRider
Cruiser
Default RE: STOLEN BIKES !!

Do you have the pictures of those? If not and by any luck try to get some. I am curious what it looks like when someone slap it together.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

So that's where Gumpy gets his parts!

Just Kidding Gumpy...I love your work.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MHRider

Do you have the pictures of those? If not and by any luck try to get some. I am curious what it looks like when someone slap it together.
They look just like the rest out here running around. Some actually "better". What do youbelieve they should look like? The MORE important ? is how to identify parts at swaps, etc. Make sure you get as much paper as possible when buying parts. The age old rule: "Cover thine own a$$" really comes into play. Nothing will rain on your parade faster than some Fed telling you that your tranny # showed up on the "Hot sheet" and they are confiscating your scoot. It is now up to you to "prove" where you got it. Again, get paperwork of the purchase. Another
"part" of that equation, is the "hot sheet" list is not always brought up to date. Ins cos, LEA's seldom report or update the files when a recovery or settlement is made. So even tho your part is "now" legit, it could still be on the hot sheet from the original theft or report. And when it comes to this, you are "guilty" until you can prove your innocense.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Skaarsgard
Cruiser

Yeah, pay attention to the title. A lot of times, special constructions that are pretty much all harley parts are hot bikes.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

ORIGINAL: MHRider

They look just like the rest out here running around. Some actually "better". What do youbelieve they should look like? The MORE important ? is how to identify parts at swaps, etc. Make sure you get as much paper as possible when buying parts. The age old rule: "Cover thine own a$$" really comes into play. Nothing will rain on your parade faster than some Fed telling you that your tranny # showed up on the "Hot sheet" and they are confiscating your scoot. It is now up to you to "prove" where you got it. Again, get paperwork of the purchase. Another
"part" of that equation, is the "hot sheet" list is not always brought up to date. Ins cos, LEA's seldom report or update the files when a recovery or settlement is made. So even tho your part is "now" legit, it could still be on the hot sheet from the original theft or report. And when it comes to this, you are "guilty" until you can prove your innocense.
Yep. LOTS of 'borrowed' parts are out there - so you gotta cover your ***.

Typically, the frame, transmission and engine cases have factory numbers stamped into the them. The major electronics also have ways of being traced back to the the original bike they were installed on.

Before I bought my RK - I checked the numbers on the motor & tranny, I then called the local H-D parts/service with the VIN and had them pull it up in their computer system. They were able to tell me who originally bought the bike and the major service work it had done in the past. The guy I bought it from claimed it was a 'one-owner' bike - and I was able to verify that by phone while I was standing in his driveway.

If I see an ebay or craigslist ad for a Harley that has an S&S motor - or reflects other big changes that involve the motor and/or tranny on a H-D, I just assume there are gonna be 'hot' parts and avoid it.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IS this where the term "HOT Harley Nites" originated from? I know when I go to those, NOT all the bikes there can be stolen, can they?
And just FYI, one of the "better" ones is Sioux City, Iowa. I have said it B4: You'd never know it by lookin' at 'em, but them "Iowegians" do know how to "rally" at their bike rallies. Just sayin'.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

(Snip some)

If I see an ebay or craigslist ad for a Harley that has an S&S motor - or reflects other big changes that involve the motor and/or tranny on a H-D, I just assume there are gonna be 'hot' parts and avoid it.
OTOH, my old '72 XLCH had "big changes". Only original parts left were the engine and rear wheel. Titled as a 1972 Corbin Gentry XLCH. Nothing was hot. I built it.

And my '87 FLST now has an engine with a serial number that doesn't match the frame. Other things have been "severely" modified, too. When it's done it'll have "big changes" on it; original parts will be frame, tranny, fork tubes & sliders.

My point is that it pays to know what's what about any particular bike when things have been modified/changed. If you aren't HD "savvy" have a friend who is look at what needs looked at.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

My point is that it pays to know what's what about any particular bike when things have been modified/changed. If you aren't HD "savvy" have a friend who is look at what needs looked at.

Poco -

Well said.

I was just mentioning one of the things that comes to my mind when I'm checking e-bay or other sites. Maybe I'm just paranoid.