Help me formulate a plan for building my first custom bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Stache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me formulate a plan for building my first custom bike

My qualifications?
Not much but I was an aircraft mechanic in a past life, I have 30+ years engineering experience in a variety of electronic, electrical, software and mechanical design, primarily in radio and medical instrumentation. All this ain’t saying much except maybe I know the difference between English and Metric units or can at least figure it out if I have a chart (in color), instructions and a calculator. If you tell me to pour pee out of a boot, I can probably do that too if you put the instructions on the heel.

Any way ….

What kind of bike?

Well, I know a few things. It will be painted black and have flames on it. Hummm .. Anything else? …. Oh yeah ….

It must be comfortable. It will not be a bar hopper. If I want to get Iron butt certified … I should be able to do it on this bike. I’m thinking softtail, no ape hangers, nice seat. It will primarily be a solo ride, perhaps a quick seat change would allow 2 up, at least for short rides.

As popular as choppers are and though I like to look at them and marvel, they are not for me. That’s not to say I’m against anything raked over 30 degrees etc. I can live with some moderate modifications as long as mountain handling and comfort are not adversely affected. I ride to the Smokey Mountains quiet often because there are some really nice rides there.

Power? Most defiantly. I’m thinking S&S 107 Evo or 124 twin cam. I want some kick but smooth ride and reliability are just as important.

Pipes? I’m sensitive to other people and I do have neighbors so straight drag pipes are out. At the same time, when I twist the throttle I wanna hear it.

Lights? I’m big on safety, I wanna be seen but I don’t really want to look like a Christmas tree either.

Tank? It should be good size. I don’t want to pass everything except a gas station. I’m thinking traditional teardrop shape.

Tires and wheels? 18 or 21 inch on the front and something a tad wider than stock on the rear but noting massive. Something between 180 and 200 I think. I’m still thinking about handling and those mountain roads.

Front end? Maybe FL forks, maybe springer. I’m not sure what might be better for daily riding and long hauls.

For touring I’m probably gonna want a an easily removable windshield and some place to hang my hat, er, bag. Either quick detach saddle bags or maybe a sissy bar to hang a pack on. For day-to-day riding, these should come off easy for a nice clean look.

[size=3][font="times new rom

Old 04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Default RE: Help me formulate a plan for building my first custom bike

Check with your state MVD and call around for Insurance quotes. Building the bike is the easy part.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Tim Hoeck
Intermediate

Heres mine.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good mental picture of what you want in the end.
I for one have just about finished my second ground up build,and it is a Hot Rod bagger, 155" TC. My last build was a 124" Bagger and it has been a truly awesome bike for Mother and I,the last 4 yrs.All the passing power you will ever need and very smooth cruising.At about 33 mpg.The majority of the parts came from Ebay,saving me Thousands of dollars.Whatever you decide on for a platform,you must get the parts manual,an invalualbe publication.Good Luck.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am helping a friend build this one

ORIGINAL: Tim Hoeck

Heres mine.

Her it is
[IMG]local://upfiles/19868/C4E84C6B209A4E81B47DA02643129943.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Stache
Cruiser

Nice start Tim.
I like the tank Balley. Nice paint too. Looks like its pretty close to being set free.[sm=biker2.gif]