General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

Well just got off the phone with my brother who is pissed off. We rode Honda's for years and back in '06 we switched to HD RK's. I am talking we rode those Honda's hard-everything from dirt bikes to CBR 600's. to CBR 900's (still own one actually) and other than general maintenance the only EVER mechanical problem we ever had between all of those bikes was a broken chain (too many wheelies are very hard on your chain I found out one day!)...anyway, so far since October of '06, hes had the transmission (1200 or so)blow on him (no, he babies this RK so he did not beat on the engine) he had another issue that now slips my mind but was around 500 to fix, and now his spokes got loose the other day and he needs to another whole wheel he's told(500 more) plus he needs the 20k maintenance (another 500 I believe roughly) so this HD isclearly nickel and diming him. Granted the 20k maintenance doesn't really count but that still leaves around 2500 in actual repair work I believe in under 2 years. I can tell you all between the dirt bikes (roughly 8 bikes between us both over the years) and street bike Honda's we owned, if you added up ALL of the repair costs AND Maintenance on them you don't even approach 2500 that the HD is sucking up. Now he's thinking about getting a Wing if he has any more issues. There's only so much a guy can do, and I understand how pi$$ed off he is right now...so far, knock on wood I haven't had a single non-maintenance issue with mine. Anyway, hopefully no more problems but boy, this latest problem ruined our riding plans for this past weekend and it was perfect weather. Just sucks.

That said, no one can tell me with any sense of honesty, that HD's are anywhere close to the Jap bikes as far as reliability goes....I'm just not gonna buy it.

I sense I will get flamed for this but so be it....I know the posts of "I've never had a problem in 50k miles" are about to be coming at me hardcore but just from what I have seen, I think the Honda is clearly, from a reliability standpoint, a far superior machine....

And no, I'm not a freaking TROLL!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

"so far, knock on wood I haven't had a single non-maintenance issue with mine."

Your brother and you bought 2 bikes...he's had some problems, you haven't had a single one...on what planet does that makeall Honda's superior to all Harley's?

I think your brother should buy a Wing, and you should quit bitchin' aboutthe good Harley under your ***...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well luckily for you Honda's are discounting the **** out of their bikes and Harleys have high trade in value so you can make the jump to Honda. Haven't had any problems in the two years I have owned my Harley. That is more than I can say about any other vehicle I have owned. I have had this awful honda motor on a power washer. So not everything that Honda makes is gold.

Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

I had 5 Goldwings and there is a lot of truth to what you said. I have spent more money om my 07 Ultra than 5 Goldwings. But I enjoy my H~D

mptrahan
Advanced

ditto nighttrain...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

DO US ALL A FAVOR.... SELL IT AND BUY A HONDA.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

So if you hate the HD and the Honda is soooooo much beter, trade yours for an old wing. I don't care if it isn't as technologically good nor as reliable I am not riding rice. Course if you have no problems with yours, his just possibly might be a lemon. It happens, even in hondas I'm sure. Bottom line, it's your bike and your choice, ride what you want to but painting all Harleys with the crap brush is ..well just crap. Mine has 144k miles and I haven't spent nearly what he has other than maintenance since 1995.

Your money, your choice.... then next move is yours. I'm betting you'll be ridng one of those heartless plastic wonders before years end.

Bubba

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had more Honda's than anything else over the years (all because I was cheap). Of the 9 the last two are Harleys; they're the best by far.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
hardhead
Tourer

My buddy's 06 vtx 1300 has had his clutch lever fall off and speedoworks-sometimes. Other than that it's a great bike. Also he's put about $6,000 in upgrades to get it to the level of my heritage when it was stock. Still thats nothing compared to your brothers troubles. I wouldn't blame him for going back to jap bikes. Hell, originally I wanted a vtx1800. My question is why were none of his issues covered under the 2 year warranty?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

um.

his should be under warranty still. why arent' they replacing the tranny/other things under that?

this sounds fishy.

Quick Reply: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...