General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 H-D Road King Classic OR 09 H-D Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM
BiggShooter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 H-D Road King Classic OR 09 H-D Road King Classic

When&nbsp\\;it comes&nbsp\\;to H-D motorcycles, I'm a "Greenhorn"...so go easy on me. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I've been researching the&nbsp\\;08 Road King Classic and the 09 Road King Classic.&nbsp\\; I'm&nbsp\\;trying to decide, at what $$$ amount, it would be&nbsp\\;beneficial for me to&nbsp\\;buy a 08 Road King Classic (Pacific Blue Pearl and Vivid Black) VS ordering a 09 Road King Classic (Black or Flame Blue Pearl).&nbsp\\; I don't want to insult any dealer by offering a ridiculously low&nbsp\\;price for an 08 Road King Classic.&nbsp\\; The&nbsp\\;08 Road King Classic I'm looking at has&nbsp\\;a&nbsp\\;list price&nbsp\\;of $18975.&nbsp\\; Is offering $2500 less gonna get be kicked out of the H-D dealership with two black eyes and broken jaw??&nbsp\\; What $$$ amount can I expect off the MSRP of a 09 Road King Classic, if any??
&nbsp\\;
I'm hoping&nbsp\\;a few experienced H-D motorcycle buyers can share their experiences or offer any suggestions.&nbsp\\; I plan on doing something very soon (perhaps this weekend).
&nbsp\\;
At what $$$ amount should I buy the 08 and not order the 09??&nbsp\\; I've got CASH, so no FINANCING through H-D!!!&nbsp\\; Does that play into the equation??
&nbsp\\;
Thanks to everyone that read my post and offered their two cents [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM
testifer
Road Master
Default RE: 08 H-D Road King Classic OR 09 H-D Road King Classic

i am guessing u will get nothing off of anything, buy the 09....just my opinion...not 1 dealer around here have any 08 bikes...if they do, they still wont give u no 2500 off...i was in 1 today, they had 2 v rods and a used road glide

Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BiggShooter

When&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;it comes&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;to H-D motorcycles, I'm a "Greenhorn"...so go easy on me. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I've been researching the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;08 Road King Classic and the 09 Road King Classic.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'm&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;trying to decide, at what $$$ amount, it would be&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;beneficial for me to&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;buy a 08 Road King Classic (Pacific Blue Pearl and Vivid Black) VS ordering a 09 Road King Classic (Black or Flame Blue Pearl).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I don't want to insult any dealer by offering a ridiculously low&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;price for an 08 Road King Classic.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;08 Road King Classic I'm looking at has&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;list price&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;of $18975.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Is offering $2500 less gonna get be kicked out of the H-D dealership with two black eyes and broken jaw??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; What $$$ amount can I expect off the MSRP of a 09 Road King Classic, if any??
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I'm hoping&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a few experienced H-D motorcycle buyers can share their experiences or offer any suggestions.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I plan on doing something very soon (perhaps this weekend).
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
At what $$$ amount should I buy the 08 and not order the 09??&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I've got CASH, so no FINANCING through H-D!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Does that play into the equation??
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks to everyone that read my post and offered their two cents [sm=thanx.gif]
&nbsp\\;
Harley Dealers actually hate cash as then they can't rip you off on financing.&nbsp\\; If a dealer has more than 3 2008 Road King Classics in stock it wouldn't hurt to offer 2k less than msrp.&nbsp\\; I am guessing they will say no.&nbsp\\; But what do you have to lose?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; If not wait for the 2009.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All they can say is no, think of it as a starting point. If you want the bike either bike be prepared to go up and negotiate.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:20 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on number of dealers in your area and your willingness to play the game.&nbsp\\;The winner walks away the losers money.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-26-2008, 07:23 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Since you have a specific model and &nbsp\\;color in mind I'd go for an 09.&nbsp\\; Call up (dont go) several dealers. Tell them what youre looking for and ask for out the door price.&nbsp\\; Wait for the calls.&nbsp\\; A friend had good success with this method.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:26 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

I went to the dealer and paid more.&nbsp\\; Wife fell in love with an 08 Deluxe last month and had to have it that night.&nbsp\\; Still got it for $1700 under msrp.&nbsp\\; Didn't even try hard. But we have 5 dealers w/i 1/2 drive.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: BiggShooter
I don't want to insult any dealer by offering a ridiculously low\\;price for an 08 Road King Classic.

How can you insult a business? Offer a little less than you're willing to pay, then work it from there. If they get insulted find another dealer. I've also found it advantageous to go in about an hour before closing on the last business day of the week or particularly the last one of the month when they are wanting to bump their sales numbers up for the period. It's worked great for the last two cars I've bought, they want to make the sale and don't want to chance it that you will change your mind if you go home and think about it and have to come back the next day to complete the sale.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't worry about an HD dealer being insulted by an offer. They're in it to get as much money as they can for as little bike. Your in it to do the opposite. Its just business.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

As for the 08. I like my 08 SG and it is more or less proven technology. The 09 is the first model year after some changes, but the y are minor it seems and is under warranty. The 08 is now a year old, even though I have only had it since Dec.

Quick Reply: 08 H-D Road King Classic OR 09 H-D Road King Classic