General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon crash (SQUID)!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dragon crash (SQUID)!

?????

Dragon crash
At about 5:45 p.m. on the Dragon, rescue workers pulled a motorcyclist and his passenger up an embankment. Blount County firefighters, Blount County Volunteer Rescue Squad personnel and members of the Blount Special Operations Response Team (BSORT) responded to the rescue. Blount County Sheriff's deputies also assisted at the accident.

According to Dalton, Michael Copeland, 37, Bluffton, Ind., was riding a Kawasaki Ninja 600 motorcycle northbound on Calderwood Highway. Witnesses reported that Copeland rode around a curve near mile marker 12, popped the motorcycle up on the back wheel, passed two cars, lost control, of the motorcycle, hit a tree and then went down an embankment.

"The motorcycle landed 33 feet down the embankment, he landed 50 feet down and she (a female passenger) landed 90 feet down," Dalton said.

Dalton said the identity of the female passenger was not available on Sunday night, but should be available on today.

Rural/Metro emergency personnel took the female passenger to a nearby landing zone, and she was taken by Lifestar to University of Tennessee Medical Center. Copeland was taken by ambulance to UT Medical Center.

Dalton said that it appeared the female had two broken legs and the male may have had one broken leg and was complaining of chest pain.

Dalton said charges are pending in both crashes.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder what the worst charges and penalties are that can be brought against that dude. Whatever, it won't be enough.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its guys like that who make it look bad for all of us. believe it or not there are some folks out there that dont know the difference between a sport bike, and a cruiser.....and in some cases its those very people who are holding the pens that sign laws onto the books....or they are in control of insurance rates....or whatever.
I know that 99% of us on this very forum at one time or another did reckless **** on a bike, but I would hope most have grown out of that sort of thing, or at least know when and where to play games, and certainly not with a female passenger on the back.
I just hope they are both OK......the girl is the one I feel bad for....she lost all control the second she got on the back of the bike with that jerk.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Slacker8
Tourer

Originally Posted by biz44
Its guys like that who make it look bad for all of us. believe it or not there are some folks out there that dont know the difference between a sport bike, and a cruiser.....and in some cases its those very people who are holding the pens that sign laws onto the books....or they are in control of insurance rates....or whatever.
I know that 99% of us on this very forum at one time or another did reckless **** on a bike, but I would hope most have grown out of that sort of thing, or at least know when and where to play games, and certainly not with a female passenger on the back.
I just hope they are both OK......the girl is the one I feel bad for....she lost all control the second she got on the back of the bike with that jerk.
+1
I agree totally when she got on she lost all control of her situation. As your sig say F Around F Around and You won't be around....
I have always rode with the thinking "Stupid will get you killed".

Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I just recently had a good long talk with my 16 year old daugther - who loves to ride - about making good choices as to who you allow to take control of your life when you get on the back of a bike. I was in Atlanta a while back late at night and passed a rocket going really slow in the HOV lane. It was like 1am and I knew something was strange. About 2 miles down the road - where there are some S curves and tunnels going right through downtown Atlanta - he comes screaming by me at well over 100mph. The girl on the back had no options, no control, and all I could think was "that's somebody's daughter!"

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

I have female friends that will not ride in the no control seat, but drive their own bikes

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Chaos1
Advanced

I know that in Atlanta we get some real idiots out on the interstate. A club called "#1 stunnas" are notorius for performing a rolling road block across 4 lanes of traffic to let some cars clear out in front of them. Then all @ once they take off in excess of 100mph racing through unsuspecting traffic. It is just mind blowing.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM
dhoward
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same goes for inexperienced cruiser drivers on roads like the dragon. Slow, wide turns, holding up traffic is a recipe for disaster. Ride within your limits.

Originally Posted by mjunk1
Snipped....... and all I could think was "that's somebody's daughter!"
I used to think that too. Then I'd just order another drink and slip a fiver into her garter, or whatever else...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That dumb *** represents us because we don't take up for ourselves. The first thing I tell someone when they say I saw one of you motorcycle riders do a wheeler or whatever stunt is that you saw A Motorcycle rider---You didn't see me. The few times my daughter has got behind someone on a sport-bike, I have informed the driver of that bike that he doesn't want to hurt her because He answers to me. No excuses. As far as the dragon. The road should have the respect of anyone on it. Its pretty and it turns. Thats the draw. I have no sympathy for anybody that over rides there skill level on a twisty road that is notorious for its turns. Duh.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What and idiot! There was a similar incident on 575 North of Atlanta yesterday as we were all heading home from riding The Dragon yesterday. Fortunately, the last of the group were only briefly delayed on the trip home but they shut down both sides of 575 to air lift the idiot out with a compound leg fracture.

Quick Reply: Dragon crash (SQUID)!