General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military Base Decal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Tidewater HOG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Base Decal

Where is the best place to put a base decal on a Softail Standard?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:12 PM
sgtrod91
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Military Base Decal

the dealer installed a chrome plate on the frame just below the neck, thats where Im going to pt mine when I get it. I havent taken the course on post yet.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Blue Lead
Cruiser

I had to buy another decal plate and ended up attaching it to the frame where the clutch cable is attached. Not the best job, but the gate guards see it well enough.

Blue Lead

Old 04-06-2006, 12:42 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Similar to Blue Lead, I put mine on the frame, left side down tube. I fab'd my own decal plates and mounted with clamps similar to HD part no 50903-85T (3 pc chrome foot peg clamps - page 611 in the 06 catalog). I angled the plates about 45* so guards can see them as I approach. Works well.

Not a fan of alternatives. Putting stickers directly on fork tubes or windshield - yuck and possible damage trying to get them off later. Mounting a plate at the top of the frame or down where the inspection sticker plate is requires you to stop at the gates all the time because the guards can't see them until you are right up on them.

Another option I've seen people try is to mount a decal plate using one of the front caliper bolts. No experience with that though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5927/F7D8AAC45BE74C4692582AA4B62C7797.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5927/628EDC83D67842ED9D60915050E99DD5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2006, 10:17 AM
LOWTOW
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my 04 FXDL on a plate bolted to the front engine mount (sticking straight out front). On my wife's 05 FXDL the plate is mounted on the belt guard just behind the fuse box. We just point to the tag at the gate and have had no problems.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:33 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 04-06-2006, 10:36 AM
LOWTOW
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea...I knew there was a resent thread about tag plates....I was too lazy this morning to look for it.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please don't think you have to attatch the sticker directly to your bike... It will detract from the looks and cause troubles when it comes time to remove it. OBTW, if they are on their game they will make you remove it prior to being shipped during a PCS move.

I would suggest installing a metal plate with the decal on it. I got a metal "deck building" bracket at Home Depot, cut it to shape, sanded and painted it black. It works great and allowed me to customize the fit for my application. This bracket is bolted to my bike, therefore it is now "part" of the bike. Below are pics of my install... Note how low and "hidden" it is... Not some big sticker on my fork.

Another option I've seen used is to put the sticker on thin magnetic sheeting. You know, the flexable sheeting they use to make car signs and refrig magnets out of. Put your decal on this stuff and slap it onto the tank as you approach the gate.

Sorry about how dirty the bike is in the photo... I've been riding her quite a bit lately. Good luck!

Edmo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1690/1305037D732E4043AB05D53E7E321279.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

DOD stickers no longer are required to have the base name below so the sticker will be able to go with the bike on a PCS move. i've always had my stickers on the upper fork leg. doesn't detract from looks very much and i can remove my windshield safely. removing the sticker is easy if you let it sit in the sun or use a hair dryer and careful use of a razor blade. when you get the sticker starting to come off pull it back on itself almost flat against itself and it likely will come off in one peice.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The magnet on the fuel tank works most of the time. You might run into a guard that will really look at it and tell you the sticker needs to be "permanently " attached but I haven't had any trouble with the magnet yet.

Quick Reply: Military Base Decal