General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got caught in the ice today...and sweat bullets!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM
gmikesell
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got caught in the ice today...and sweat bullets!

My commute to work is about 35 miles one way. I ride my bike to work EVERYDAY and average about 20,000/yr just doing that. I don't own a car (my wife) does and so I find it more convenient to take the bike to work rather than bugging her for a ride. (Maybe I'll buy a car next year...but I doubt it.)

Anyway, when I opened the garage this morning it was a cloudy day, the thermometer read a touch over 24 degrees. A little cooler than usual although it's been starting to be a routine around here (Anna, Tx - North of Dallas) over the last week or so.

I fire up the bike, having a smoke, and getting ready for the ride. No rain to speak of has been forcasted though it has been indicated that we might get some precipitation (10% chance) later in the evening.

I head out, a little cold but all good.

About 3 or 4 hours later (11am CST) I get a call from my wife saying that she's is worried it might start sleeting.

I don't argue as I have similar concerns at this point and immediately head to the bike, planning to work the rest of the day from home.

First, just cold. However, about 3 miles or so down the road it starts to drizzle. It hits my helmet visor and promptly freezes, giving me a hazy film to look through.

The road surface hasn't frozen but I'm on high alert. About 10 or 15 minutes later, it's full on sleeting and raining and freezing. By now I've had to pull over, knock the ice off my visor and get going again. The brakes are starting to compromise, with the ice forming over the calipers.

I would try to ride with my visor up just high enough to see but then sleet would hit my eyes and the wind just plain hurt my face! The roads weren't particularly slippery yet but I was constantly vigilant for it.

Finally, the sky cleared a bit and I was breathing a sigh of relief. I pulled over and knocked the ice off the mask again. I decided to press on home, only about another 15 miles. The sky looked clear enough although it remained cloudy overhead. I didn't want to leave my bike overnight at some gas station so I kept going. About 5 miles further (10 miles from home) the sky suddenly opened up! It was that wet slush that falls out of the sky and freezes on cold surface. I was in the middle of no man's land. No gas stations or stores till I got to my neighborhood. I was committed. I finally made it home and here's what I looked like (I had knocked off most of the ice from my body right before I pulled into the garage. I did't realize my wife was going to want to take a picture of me. lol):

Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
learfxr
Tourer

Think it's time to invest in a cheap car or pickup. No sense in risking safety to ride to work on days that are bad.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
trippy57
Cruiser

You da man! Holy crapola, dude!!!!Got's to be more careful!!!Glad you made it home ok tho. I absolutely HATE winter!!!!! So tell us, just how cold were ya when you got home, and how long did it take to get the seat pried outta yo a$$?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 PM
gmikesell
Advanced

Yeah, I really haven't wanted to but I think I might start hitting Craigslist or something to see if I can find a beater to drive around for a month or two in the year. Thankfully Texas doesn't get much of this but on the occasions that it does it sure can get crazy. Nothing like what the guys up North get but crazy all the same. Some heated gear sure would be nice too!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 PM
gmikesell
Advanced

It was dry and looked fine when I left in the morning (around 7am). Temp reading was 24 degrees F. When I headed home around noon it was 26 degrees F. Winds were from the North about about 10-15 mph with gust up to 25 mph (per weather.com). As far as getting the seat outta my a$$, I don't know. I never felt it!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Bishop73
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy ****e!! You're a brave (or stupid ) man. Just imagine the ride without that fairing.......

Old 12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
learfxr
Tourer

Part of the problem in this area is that we don't get much ice and snow in the winter, so they suck at dealing with it on the roads and people have no idea how to drive on it. I love looking at all the huge overpasses when the storms hit. These idiots attempt to take the huge iced up overpasses, then people actually line up for 2 miles waiting in line to take the same ramps.

In the winter in Texas, get out a lawn chair and watch the show on the road.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Cold Rider
Advanced

They used to make chains for Harleys, do they still? I don't even like to drive my 4x4 in that sh%t much less my bike!! Glad you made it home safe.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Sorry...that would make my a$$ so tight I could sharpen pencils, not for me, that's got tragedy written all over it...glad you made it back safety

Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Glad you made home safe. I'm sure the cagers gave you all the room you needed as well.....

Quick Reply: I got caught in the ice today...and sweat bullets!