General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you do the Sportster buy back incentive....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When you do the Sportster buy back incentive....

We are very fortunate to be able to take part in the Sportster buy back incentive where you get full MSRP on your 07, 08, or 09 Sportster in trade for a big twin at the HD dealership. That's what we are getting ready to do. I don't think we could have gotten but 8K or so for my pristine Sporty by trying to sell it on our own due to the economy. But just so some will know, if they have any other incentives going on at the dealership, it will NOT pertain to you when you purchase. For example, the place we usually buy from has a $1,000.00 "free" HD stuff in store that goes with a purchase of a new HD. The salesman said they will not honor it with us since they are losing so much money on the incentive. Other places simply charge more for the new bike in the trade.

Yeah, I know, I should count my blessings for being able to get such a good amount for my bike, but let me tell you, they'll do anything they can to make up the difference in their favor. I'm not meaning to sound ungrateful or anything. BUT, we are still shopping around at dealerships around the area within several hundred miles from us. Some deal better than others.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would consider getting full MSRP on a 1 to 3 year old Sportster more than fair and an excellent incentive on it's own, but I guess you can always try to get a better deal at a different dealership.

They won't be able to turn around and resell these used bikes at full MSRP, so I kind of wonder what their marketing plan is to get these used Sportsters out of the showroom without taking too much of a loss.

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 01-05-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just took advantage of the deal. He would have lost his downpayment on the Sporty without the deal, so it made the difference in him being able to move up. He realized the Sporty wasn't what he really wanted. He was able to move up to a new Fatbob.

Attached Thumbnails When you do the Sportster buy back incentive....-dscn2848.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

I'm suspecting that there won't be that may takers on this offer in this economy. You are essentially turning a $6,000 loan into a $16,000 loan. This is just a way to get a few of the BT's off the books, and marketing expects that they can still sell the cheapest models even in a depressed economy.

I'm hoping that I'm wrong, because I'd like to see my son get a good deal on a used Sportster this summer.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Not interested,if I had wanted some thing else that's what I would have bought.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rhonda
We are very fortunate to be able to take part in the Sportster buy back incentive where you get full MSRP on your 07, 08, or 09 Sportster in trade for a big twin at the HD dealership. That's what we are getting ready to do. I don't think we could have gotten but 8K or so for my pristine Sporty by trying to sell it on our own due to the economy. But just so some will know, if they have any other incentives going on at the dealership, it will NOT pertain to you when you purchase. For example, the place we usually buy from has a $1,000.00 "free" HD stuff in store that goes with a purchase of a new HD. The salesman said they will not honor it with us since they are losing so much money on the incentive. Other places simply charge more for the new bike in the trade.

Yeah, I know, I should count my blessings for being able to get such a good amount for my bike, but let me tell you, they'll do anything they can to make up the difference in their favor. I'm not meaning to sound ungrateful or anything. BUT, we are still shopping around at dealerships around the area within several hundred miles from us. Some deal better than others.
Sounds like you wouldn't know a good deal if it kicked you in the ***.Mooch.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I would consider getting full MSRP on a 1 to 3 year old Sportster more than fair and an excellent incentive on it's own, but I guess you can always try to get a better deal at a different dealership.

They won't be able to turn around and resell these used bikes at full MSRP, so I kind of wonder what their marketing plan is to get these used Sportsters out of the showroom without taking too much of a loss.

I was afraid I would come off as unappreciative....but I'm not meaning to really. It IS a good deal to get the MSRP for a used Sportster. That is the only way that we could take the proceeds of the sale of his Heritage along with the trade in and get enough money to pay for the Ultra we are getting. Just wanted to mention to folks that did not know, that lots of dealers are omitting other incentives with this deal. Still a darn good deal though. I'd still suggest to anyone wanting to trade up to do this.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chopperz
Sounds like you wouldn't know a good deal if it kicked you in the ***.Mooch.
Dang.....that was mean as heck. Make you feel better?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Roadkingfatboy
Cruiser

To late now, but most who gets a Sporty wants to move up rather quickly. It's better to just bite the bullet and get a big boy right off the bat. Most people want to try a smaller bike @ first , but quickly realize they should have got the bigger bike, I actually find them easier to ride. Except when you forget to put the kickstand down and your holding the bike at a 45 deg. angle thats when for just that moment you wish it was a 883! I have a Roadking and Fatboy , I like a big bike especially on windy days.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Roadkingfatboy
Cruiser

I do love the colors of that 105th Ann. you are showing in the photo.

Quick Reply: When you do the Sportster buy back incentive....