General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you do the Sportster buy back incentive....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by froogle
Yeah - I would have thought Harley are eating the loss on the trade in, but since most people are going to finance the new bike HD are ultimately going to make back the loss in finance fees (interest etc).

So, they get the best of both worlds really for the majority of cases - good nearly new second hand entry level bikes on the forecourt and a big increase in sales of the big twins - looks great to the Shareholders I'm sure. On a business level I think it's a pretty good idea.
At least they won't be making any interest off us. Also, what I heard is the HD shop has to eat half the cost and HD company has to eat the other half of the buy back.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I'm negotiating this deal with a dealer in my state right now.

Sure, they honor MSRP but they are not budging on freight, setup, documentation, etc., and now suddenly the bike I'm interested in has security, too, and no freebies like a 1K or even a t-shirt.

It's still a good deal, and they are trying to make as much as they can while sticking to the spirit of the deal: that I end up with no negative equity on the Sporty and my payments will remain the same.

But, if something seems too good to be true, it is, but it's still pretty dang good.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good deal depending on what you can get the big twin for?

In my state some dealers are selling new 08s for 23% off list but they are not part of the sporster deal.

This is a way for HD to keep demand up & prices, it influences msrp on new bikes & on paper looks good for there stock.

As far as the post earlier to "just buy the big twin in the 1st place"

Are you kidding me!!!! Do you know how many people will be over biked?
Geez if I hade to explain the dangers of a bike that is to big to handle in an emergency then I guess.... well duh!!!

Anyway I don’t like to see anybody hurting but it is about time HD came back to reality after porkin every one since 94. I remember saying to a dealer in 97 when my uncle paid 10k more for the same bike I purchased in 91 that "I can’t wait until you have leftovers & are begging people to buy bikes again shame on you for thousands over msrp"

He said "never will that happen"

I left discussed at him & my uncle.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
walther
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 1200 Custom had the alloy wheel and two tone so it MSRP'd out at $10,615 and I paid $9,150 cash in July 2007.

The dealer I am talking to about a 2009 Softail Custom or a 2009 Night Train won't budge off MSRP if we do the Sportster deal.

Even at that, with a $6,400 trade allowance this deal beats the Harley dealer locally that is not participating in the program by about $1,200 even with his huge off MSRP discounts, even more if the participating HD dealer doesn't nickel dime me on a tire or a fee for a 5,000 mile check because my bike has 5,700 miles on it, which if you read the fine print, they CAN DO!

One HD person told me the factory is kicking back $1,000 to the dealers, another told me the factory is kicking back $1,500 to the dealers participating in this program.