General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now That's Cold...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Now That's Cold...

I was just looking a some temps around the country and found Ft Yukon in east-central Alaska reporting the HIGH temps today to be near 50 below on the flats

Fortunately, they're also having only light winds...so they got that going for them.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like it when it gets below 50.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My daughter's friend works in the oil fields on the North Slope of Alaska. Just after Christmas he called her and told her it was about -74F.
And I thought it was cold here at -54F.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
I was just looking a some temps around the country and found Ft Yukon in east-central Alaska reporting the HIGH temps today to be near 50 below on the flats

Fortunately, they're also having only light winds...so they got that going for them.
That would be -50 Celcius which is -58 Fahrenheit... Tommorrow's forecast is even colder... Brrrrrrrrr....

Sitka AK, which is on the coast mind you, is 0C or 32F. Quite a difference for being only 1/2 a State apart.

It's snowing here right now, -15* C.... Can't ride so might as well talk/whine about the weather.... Sad.....

Last edited by 08UltraRider; 01-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08UltraRider
That would be -50 Celcius which is -58 Fahrenheit... Tommorrow's forecast is even colder... Brrrrrrrrr....

Sitka AK, which is on the coast mind you, is 0C or 32F. Quite a difference for being only 1/2 a State apart.

It's snowing here right now, -15* C.... Can't ride so might as well talk/whine about the weather.... Sad.....
I think that would be -50F because Ft.Yukon is in Alaska. They use F, not C.
Regardless, they are BOTH frikken cold. Once it's colder than -35C it doesn't make much difference, unless you get moisture or wind. Then they will make it feel even colder.
Right now it's about -40C here and I have to run outside for more firewood. It takes longer to get dressed than it does to get the wood, which is only 30 feet away.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
jeepedest
Outstanding HDF Member

i'm going in to spray outdoor rinks @4:30am thats what the temp is ..brrrrr

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
LucklessPedestrian
Road Captain

Just an opinion...but I would venture to say -50 is cold

Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMFUWorld, 'bout -20 to -25 is the cut off. Anything colder than that, really doesn't 'feel colder than that'. BUT windchill is a li'l different aminull.

We are basking in the low teens for highs. But by the weekend, and then into next week, two blasts rollin' in from our FRIENDS (!!!!! ?????????) to Da Nort. Highs Wed and Thurs, strugglin' to hit -anything.

Last Oct, I heard a couple of 'forecasters' yakking. They predicted a winter similar to 95, based on snow pak, etc in Siberia. Thinkin' the ol' boys knew what they wuz talkin' 'bout. Been cold compared to past 4 or 5 yrs, and schnow 18 of 31 days in Dec.

But at least we are 'planning' on it getting this bad. Those po' bastuds out in Wash and then out East, ain't zactly what we'd refer to as "Winter Wonderlands" here. Jus' sayin', we iz DUMMMMM enuff to live where ya KNOW it's gonna get ugly. Sorta like the Canucks, up there.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I lived in AK for 6 yrs. I have been out in the field, military stuff, for 30 days and the temp never got above 20 below. Was out one time when it was 70 below. All you do is try to keep moving and not freeze to death. I always felt that you could not tell much different when it got colder than 20 below. When the nose hair freezes when you breathe, it is cold.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM
08UltraRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I think that would be -50F because Ft.Yukon is in Alaska. They use F, not C.
Regardless, they are BOTH frikken cold. Once it's colder than -35C it doesn't make much difference, unless you get moisture or wind. Then they will make it feel even colder.
Right now it's about -40C here and I have to run outside for more firewood. It takes longer to get dressed than it does to get the wood, which is only 30 feet away.

RAWS BEAVER (WBQ) AK US, Fort Yukon, Alaska (PWS)
Updated: 36 min 20 sec ago
-50.6 °C
Clear
Windchill: -51 °C

When Pine Tree first posted the temp I had to look so I went to http://www.wunderground.com/US/AK/Fort_Yukon.html and it gave it in Celcius... Go figure?

I agree.... Anything below -35 doesn't matter anymore... It's freeken cold...

Quick Reply: Now That's Cold...