General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

it was on cnn news

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it was on cnn news

i heard the other day that harley davidson is closing its plants in wisconson and pennsyvainia and consolidating its other suppliers due to the drop in sales as was reported on cnn i think willie g. should be contacted and told that if they want to meet there sales they should eliminate all of the things like fuel injection elect.ignition and other things that they have added onto their bikes as they are not really needed in my opinion as they are more of a problem than an improvement which i believe is driving the price of owning a harley beyond the means of the of regular buyers all of this research and developments costs a lot of money as is passed down to us if they could eliminate all of this the price would come down and more bikes would be sold after all who in their right mind would pay $26,000 dollars for a harley when you could buy a new car or truck for the same price and in all truths what does harley want to do sell bikes or stay in business after all is said and done as far as im concerned all of this technology on a bike is just plain stupid cause most have to take their bikes into dealerships or their local bike shop to get them fixed which doesnt always solve the problem as many of us know
so i urge all of you to contact willie g. and voice your opinions to willie g.
also let me know what all of you think about this after all do you want to keep buying harleys or do you want harley to go out of business

ride hard die free

Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Umm... you're kidding right?

You know Willie G. doesn't run the company... he's just the head of the Styling group.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact the EPA. All of the changes that make the bikes more complicated have been implemented to satisfy environmentalist.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roses
contact the EPA. All of the changes that make the bikes more complicated have been implemented to satisfy environmentalist.
I wpould have to go along with this statement also

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

no im not kidding they reported that sales where down 45% and as far as emmisions doesnt a semi,car,or a pickup puts out more emmisions than a bike and also as far as us in the northern states ride less than any other wake up people and smell the coffee i also heard that they are going to let each state decide emissions standards well if willie g. cant contact harley board of directors or the c.e.o.and let them know as i only see harley closing its doors and then we will all be on other brands of bikes after all harley davidson is a legend and the legend should live on and not die

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Sales of everything is down.The reason Harley went to electronic ignitions and fuel injection is they will meet the current emission standards.And as far as price goes, there are several Harley models that cost over 26k. some people can afford them ,some can't. But at a time when alot of peoples jobs are at risk of goin away, the last thing they're going to do is go new bike shopping. This may be time in history when old established company's that can't, or won't figure out how to make a buck, become history.,,

Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by popstheoldman
i heard the other day that harley davidson is closing its plants in wisconson and pennsyvainia and consolidating its other suppliers due to the drop in sales as was reported on cnn i think willie g. should be contacted and told that if they want to meet there sales they should eliminate all of the things like fuel injection elect.ignition and other things that they have added onto their bikes as they are not really needed in my opinion as they are more of a problem than an improvement which i believe is driving the price of owning a harley beyond the means of the of regular buyers all of this research and developments costs a lot of money as is passed down to us if they could eliminate all of this the price would come down and more bikes would be sold after all who in their right mind would pay $26,000 dollars for a harley when you could buy a new car or truck for the same price and in all truths what does harley want to do sell bikes or stay in business after all is said and done as far as im concerned all of this technology on a bike is just plain stupid cause most have to take their bikes into dealerships or their local bike shop to get them fixed which doesnt always solve the problem as many of us know
also let me know what all of you think about this after all do you want to keep buying harleys or do you want harley to go out of business

ride hard die free
"after all who in their right mind would pay $26,000 dollars for a harley when you could buy a new car or truck for the same price"

Seems to me that most people purchasing a bike ( not just Harleys) already have that car or truck. The bike is secondary transportation or just for fun. I for one never considered buying another car or truck with the $$ used for the bike.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:47 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Now this is funny!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by popstheoldman

ride hard die free

That's one hell of a sentence too

Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
sonetpro
Cruiser

Wish I had my old VW baja bug too. None of that newfangled stuff. You could pull the motor. then pull the jugs for a rebuild and have it back in the car the same day.But I know there's not a chance in he!! they are ever going to build something that simple again. Regulations just won't permit it anymore.

Quick Reply: it was on cnn news