General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading a bike into a pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
martyandpeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loading a bike into a pickup truck

Ok, I've been thru this type of discussion before, but I'm looking for guidance here. I have a 2007 Softail Custom that rides in the back of a 2007 Ford Ranger with a 7 foot box. I've looked at two types of auto-loaders, and each have there advantages/disadvantages.

The first is the Rampage lift (www.rampagelift.com). It's a little pricey, about $2600 plus shipping. It's main disadvantage for me is that I will not be able to close the tailgate (remember, I have a 7' box) when it is installed, and pulling it out of the truck is not something I think want to get into. The biggest advantage is the reviews I've seen.

The other one is called the CruiserRamp (www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserramp.html). It is a little less expensive, about $1900 plus shipping. One of the features I like about this one is the assembly does not hinder me from closing the tailgate. The one disadvantage is it still uses ramps.

So, I see lots of reveiw on Rampage, but not many on CruiserRamp. Has anyone used one, seen one, loved one, hated one, would sell thier first born for one?

Thanks;

Marty

Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Buy the steel ramp set at Harbor Freight for $80, the wheel chock for $50 and the 12 volt wench for about $80 and fab up a system that would look very much like the 2 grand unit.

I have the HF ramps and the chock bolted up to the bed and drive up. No big deal. The ramps are augmented with two two by sixes on each side to put my feet down if necessary. I never had to put my feet down but I'm a woss.

A good quality trailer is almost half of what those loaders are.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:24 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What's wrong with backing up to a slope, bank or in a ditch and loading the bike with a piece of 2 x 12 with one of those fancy 20 buck ramp ends bolted on it? It's been working for a couple of decades for me.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Black widow loading ramp ,,make sure it is long enough and wide enough to load also make sure you can take it with you! $600.00 to your door.

Attached Thumbnails Loading a bike into a pickup truck-000_0179.jpg  
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a 2x4 and a 25-30 mph head start will usually get you into the truck bed...IF you accurately navigate the 2x4...:>)...a sudden stop should be expected...seriously,for $2.6k you should be able to buy a very nice used trailer...:>)

Last edited by ko4qc; 02-20-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 PM
blippo
Tourer

I bought Big Boy ramps. 68 lbs. They are very nice

Old 02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

Originally Posted by martyandpeg
Ok, I've been thru this type of discussion before, but I'm looking for guidance here. I have a 2007 Softail Custom that rides in the back of a 2007 Ford Ranger with a 7 foot box. I've looked at two types of auto-loaders, and each have there advantages/disadvantages.

The first is the Rampage lift (www.rampagelift.com). It's a little pricey, about $2600 plus shipping. It's main disadvantage for me is that I will not be able to close the tailgate (remember, I have a 7' box) when it is installed, and pulling it out of the truck is not something I think want to get into. The biggest advantage is the reviews I've seen.

The other one is called the CruiserRamp (www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserramp.html). It is a little less expensive, about $1900 plus shipping. One of the features I like about this one is the assembly does not hinder me from closing the tailgate. The one disadvantage is it still uses ramps.

So, I see lots of reveiw on Rampage, but not many on CruiserRamp. Has anyone used one, seen one, loved one, hated one, would sell thier first born for one?

Thanks;

Marty
For that kind of money you could get yourself a Kendon trailer.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

find a nice used open trailer. An enclosed one is better but may cost more. Stay away from cheap ramps. They could cause serious injury or death. I've had a black widow ramp (1500lb. rated) break in two on me. Came apart at the hinge welds. It wasn't fun.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

For that kind of money buy a trailer or gas to ride it where you're going. I prefer option 2.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending where you live ( You left that BLANK ,secret???) you might be able to find taligaite leve ramps , like at small business's farm implement or equiptment dealers , often are out in the open 24/7

Quick Reply: Loading a bike into a pickup truck