General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suicide Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suicide Clutch???

Ok what the hell is a suicide clutch? from what I can gather it is a clutch in the form of a shifter. My friend is talkin about adding this customization to his fat boy. And I asked him basically what the hell is the point of that mod. I guess every mod can be questioned as preference.

So can anyone tell me what a suicide shifter can offer? other than what the name implies.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
Ok what the hell is a suicide clutch? from what I can gather it is a clutch in the form of a shifter. My friend is talkin about adding this customization to his fat boy. And I asked him basically what the hell is the point of that mod. I guess every mod can be questioned as preference.

So can anyone tell me what a suicide shifter can offer? other than what the name implies.

It can offer a new and improved way (considering shifting can be done these days without removing your hand from the bars and all...) to have an accident imo. I suppose there may some "novelty" in it, but I'd ask him why as well. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

His bike i suppose. Would not interest me in the least.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Border Ghost
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like I had on my '62 Pan - foot clutch and left hand shifter. Took some getting used to but was great once you got the hang of it. I never changed it because I couldn't afford the "Mouse trap" conversion kit.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:37 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

It looks cool. That's why.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 AM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
It looks cool. That's why.
True enough, it does look cool. Not too bad once you get the hang of it, and with electric start? No prob.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:09 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Although some will refer to them that way, not all foot-clutch, hand-shift set-ups are a "suicide" rig. The term suicide clutch was used to modifying a rocker style clutch (toe-to-go) to an automotive pedal arrangement (if you ain't pushing it down the clutch ain't engaged). A race track innovation adapted (like so many others) for the street. On the track where quick shifts are critical, there aren't any hill stops, or other challenges. A "suicide" clutch and no front brake makes for some really entertaining moments on non-level stops.

A regular hand-shift set-up has a lot of advantages over a foot shift, expecially in heavy traffic. IMHO, a rocker clutch and a ratchet lid (the factory never put the two together) are like chocolate and peanut butter.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a tank shifter and foot clutch on mine. It was getting a little boring, riding the old way(40+ years). Ain't boring anymore, it's a brand new bag of sh*ts and giggles.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

Buddy of mine has one on his old pan. Looks interesting but after following him, and watching all the extra work required, dont think I have the coordination for it.

I applaud the skill required, just too much effort for me...

Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 AM
ALPHA_MALE
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote
I just put a tank shifter and foot clutch on mine. It was getting a little boring, riding the old way(40+ years). Ain't boring anymore, it's a brand new bag of sh*ts and giggles.
LMAO nice

Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 AM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoever named it "suicide" likely didn't own one. Pretty cool looking for sure. I'll keep both hands on the bars.

Quick Reply: Suicide Clutch???