General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement speakers

I want to upgrade the stock speakers on my Ultra Classic but the hogtunes speakers seem too expensive.
Speaking from experience, does anyone know of a good speaker that isn't so much money?
Thanks in advance.
Ride Safe

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of any speakers that are an exact fit and cost less.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

You can look on Ebay for some Infinity Kappa's.Around $60 for some 5 1/4's.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Vidro
Novice

I would buy the Titans 6 and three quarters from Biketronics. I have those without an additional amp and they are great! I paid much more for Hog Wired on my other Ultra, and I think the Titans are as good if not better for a fraction of the price. If you buy cheap aftermarket speakers, you probably will be not better off than stock.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by takiniteasy09Ultra
I want to upgrade the stock speakers on my Ultra Classic but the hogtunes speakers seem too expensive.
Speaking from experience, does anyone know of a good speaker that isn't so much money?
Thanks in advance.
Ride Safe
Buy any Infinity, Alpine, MTX, whatever car speaker that is the right size , with a mylar, plastic, NON paper speaker cone. Buy what you think sounds good. Remove your old one first so you know you have clearance for depth.

Here is something to keep in mind...
Specs say stuff like 88db @ 1 watt 1 meter...

This means the speaker produces 88 decibels at 1 watt of power , 1 meter away. The higher the db at 1 watt/1m means a more efficient speaker.

In laymans terms a speaker rated at 93db will rock your *** off at the same volume level setting on the **** compared to a 87db speaker. It will seem twice as loud. Buying higher rated speakers allow you to get more sound with less amplifier.

If I know Harley riders, they like pipes, and be able to hear the radio too.

You should be able to buy better speakers than hog tunes for $100.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean Expensive? I don't think the Hogtunes are that expensive. I paid more for the the speakers in my pickup. Sure you can walk into wallyworld or bestbuy and find something less expensive but the quality is not that great.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some speakers and Hogtunes are on the top of the list. A friend has them and I can hear him more then 100 ft behind him running down the road at 70+ mph and they are clear as a bell.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by Vidro
I would buy the Titans 6 and three quarters from Biketronics. I have those without an additional amp and they are great! I paid much more for Hog Wired on my other Ultra, and I think the Titans are as good if not better for a fraction of the price. If you buy cheap aftermarket speakers, you probably will be not better off than stock.
That's good to hear because I just ordered some yesterday!

The ARC's I had crapped out after four months and I have the stock ones back in right now.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed Hog Tunes this weekend and love them. I don't think $107 shipped is much. I ordered them on Monday and had them on Friday so their service seems to be OK so far.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Glyder
Road Captain

Here.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-GTO-528-CAR-...d=p3286.c0.m14

2 ohm 5 1/4" JBL's. Cant beat em with a stick. Look around...they can be had cheaper. I paid $50 with free shipping for mine. JBL....not some off the wall crap that you dont know who made for Hogtunes,Biketroniks,Hawgwired etc....

Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Glyder
Here.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-GTO-528-CAR-...d=p3286.c0.m14

2 ohm 5 1/4" JBL's. Cant beat em with a stick. Look around...they can be had cheaper. I paid $50 with free shipping for mine. JBL....not some off the wall crap that you dont know who made for Hogtunes,Biketroniks,Hawgwired etc....
Are these a direct-fit replacement in Electra Glide's speaker enclosures? How's the volume at 80 MPH? I've had J&Ms in a couple of bikes and they're an improvement over stock but lacking volume at speed. Plus the owner's attitude has gone to **** and I'd rather do business elsewhere.

Thanks... TL

Quick Reply: replacement speakers