Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Johnnyiroc's Avatar
Johnnyiroc Johnnyiroc is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,117
Default What is wrong with RevTech engines?

I was reading in another thread to stay away from them. Just wondering why and what previous experiences with their engine were.
__________________
Originally posted by Johnnyiroc
Quote:
Your insurance company will fix or replace your bike at their option.
However they will not fix or replace your pizza.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Harley_Dude's Avatar
Harley_Dude Harley_Dude is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location:
Posts: 5,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc View Post
I was reading in another thread to stay away from them. Just wondering why and what previous experiences with their engine were.
They are made in Korea.

Buddy has one, no problems yet. EDITED FOR CORRECTNESS: She blew up last month!

The early ones had lots of problems. The newer ones are said to be better. But for the money I'd rather spend a little more and get a S&S.
__________________


I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 05-27-2010 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 PM
oldairboater's Avatar
oldairboater oldairboater is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,422
Default

They are junk in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a bike with one on it. If someone is building a bike or replacing an engine there are other options. There are several HD clone engines from some reputable builders that are built strong with innovative parts.
__________________
JB
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
harleydavis harleydavis is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aptos, CA
Posts: 2,661
Default

I knew a guy who put a RevTech motor in his bike and had nothing but trouble with it. Ended up buying and S&S and loves it.
__________________


2000 Fatboy
95" Big Bore with headwork
Andrews 26G cams
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe HS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
olozada olozada is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3
Default

You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
__________________
Big O
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
harleyguy5571's Avatar
harleyguy5571 harleyguy5571 is offline
Supporter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,599
na na na na
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olozada View Post
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.

You must work for Revtech lol
__________________

2010 Road King Classic
SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
exitinyourhead's Avatar
exitinyourhead exitinyourhead is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 127
Default

what you don't know, is how much profit margin is afforded to the shop by the three vendors.

I know when I sold forklift parts the imports, trying to gain a foothold in the US, would offer much larger profit margins and incentives to push their products. They weren't always as good as the competition. I could sell the same starter, for instance, and make around 17% on the american brand and make about 40% on the import (and still have the import come in at around 10% less to the customer.)

The next best "sales insentive" was to push a much bigger warranty. The warranties were often hard to enforce and sometimes there was a lot red tape. Some warranties were accepted, others weren't.

The last person I would trust about a specific product would be somebody selling it.

All this being said, I'm not purchasing any of the three engines (I'm fine with my stock one.) I just know that by the logic of "I'll accept what the guy selling the products says" theory, I could have sold you a product that might or might not have been as good and you'd sure be happy and satisfied. The salesman's dream.

To the Original Poster I would recommend waiting on hearing from more folks who have specific personal experience with what your trying to purchase.
__________________
2010 Wide Glide
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
oldairboater's Avatar
oldairboater oldairboater is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,422
Default

I stand by my original post on this issue. I would not buy a bike with a rev tech engine but someone would. Surprised this old thread is being looked at again. I figure the O.P. might have bought an engine by now.
__________________
JB
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
harleyguy5571's Avatar
harleyguy5571 harleyguy5571 is offline
Supporter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,599
na na na na
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldairboater View Post
I stand by my original post on this issue. I would not buy a bike with a rev tech engine but someone would. Surprised this old thread is being looked at again. I figure the O.P. might have bought an engine by now.
Nothing like an old thread to bring back memories
__________________

2010 Road King Classic
SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Fl Jimbo 05's Avatar
Fl Jimbo 05 Fl Jimbo 05 is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Smyrna Beach, Fl.
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olozada View Post
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
WoW musta hit a nerve... 1st post in almost 2 yrs.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine size HDnoob Dyna Glide Models 10 05-23-2013 07:32 AM
painting engine Sancheese Sportster Models 11 11-12-2012 12:31 PM
Lugging the engine NJH Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch 9 10-30-2012 11:07 AM
Lugging an engine and engine braking... SeniorChief56 General Harley Davidson Chat 42 06-02-2012 05:17 PM
Engines in Dyna and Softail iandavid General Harley Davidson Chat 18 12-15-2010 11:54 PM


Tags
88, compared, engine, engines, forum, harley, hd, motorcycle, motors, rev, reviews, revtech, sale, supplied, tech


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Internet Brands, Inc.