General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide and Ultra Classic Windshield Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Windbender
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra Glide and Ultra Classic Windshield Buffeting

Howdy,

I'm new to this forum, but chose it to post this question because it looks like one of the largest HD communities on the web. Feel free to point me in another direction if there is a larger forum that you like.

For those of you with EGs and UCs . . . how is air flow for you and passenger? Do you get serious buffeting at highway speeds or is it smooth air? I recently talked to a couple folks who say the stock windshields on those two big bikes leave a lot to be desired. True?

I ask because I just bought a business that makes great windshields for Goldwings. I bought one of the products years ago and just fell in love with it. If you are having a problem with buffeting I'd love to discuss that with you and develop a windshield that "works" for you, both in function and in style. Of course, it would be great to find someone in the Olympia, Washington area that would be willing to help prototype such a product. You would get the first production model for free.

This Video explains why they work.

This is what the smallest current version looks like:

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for working with me!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:36 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock shield is pretty average and I did get a bit of buffeting. Many of us have installed after-market shields. I have a Clearview with recurve and really like this shield. Low, and virtually no buffeting.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Cacruzen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02 EGC and I switched to a Cee Bailey recurve. It looks great and works better. It has virtually eliminated head buffeting for me and has greatly improved the ride for my wife. I use the 11" but the 14" would probably eliminate all the buffeting for my wife and I. I just like the looks of the 11" better and I willing to put up with a little, top of the helmet, buffeting.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I remember seeing that one, or something like it, advertised back in the 90's when I had my Goldwing. It's an interesting concept and not necessarily a bad idea but I wasn't having buffeting issues bad enough on my Wing to encourage me to buy the thing.

My 09 Ultra's stock windshield was too short for me. The factory tall windshield is much better although when the conditions are right (or wrong as the case may be! ) I still get some buffeting to one degree or another. It's all part of riding a two wheeler and I don't see an adjustable system changing that 100% of the time. I'm sure it helps under the right conditions but I doubt I'd shell out the money for it. I don't think I'd want to stare through all that hardware. Either way, you'd have to show me a functioning system mounted on a Harley product first.

Best of luck in your endeavors though!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:04 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I get terrible buffeting of my head (wearing a full-face helmet) at speeds above 55 mph or so on my 09 Ultra Classic. It made no significant difference whether I used the stock shield, a Clearview with recurve, or the Cee Bailey SSC. So I run the Cee Bailey shield because I like the way it looks. The real problem is the nature of the batwing fairing being handlebar-mounted and thus requiring that there is a big gap between it and the lowers. I have experimented with the factory air deflectors on the fairing and found that sometimes they help the situation and sometimes they don't. If I'm riding at the speeds where I experience buffeting and move my hands around, I can feel strong windblasts coming up at my head from the area around the tank, on each side. So it seems unlikely that a windshield redesign will help.

I'm sorely disappointed in this aspect of the faired Touring bikes as I've spent years riding BMWs, where the fairings really do create a quiet pocket for the rider. On a BMW, if there's any wind noise, a windshield change will clear it up. On the UC, I sometimes get so much buffeting that it blurs my vision. That's really not acceptable, and not just "part of motorcycling."

Old 12-24-2009, 05:44 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Currently own an '09 Ultra Classic as it's stock windshield doesn't cause me any buffeting at all. However, The problem is the top of windshield's lined up at my eyesight where it gets real tiring after a long day's worth of ride.

Tried out Street Glide's 4" factory stock dark windshield. Truly liked and loved the looks. Buffeting was terrible, Bugs doing their kamikaze part and my lady behind me doesn't like the wind in her face as she prefers the stock windshield over the 4".

Have been debating whether I should purchase the 8" smoked windshield since it's right between the Street Glide's 4" and Ultra Classic's 12".

Wishing you the best on your biz endeavors.

Thorey

Old 12-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Currently own an '09 Ultra Classic as it's stock windshield doesn't cause me any buffeting at all. However, The problem is the top of windshield's lined up at my eyesight where it gets real tiring after a long day's worth of ride.

Tried out Street Glide's 4" factory stock dark windshield. Truly liked and loved the looks. Buffeting was terrible, Bugs doing their kamikaze part and my lady behind me doesn't like the wind in her face as she prefers the stock windshield over the 4".

Have been debating whether I should purchase the 8" smoked windshield since it's right between the Street Glide's 4" and Ultra Classic's 12".

Wishing you the best on your biz endeavors.

Thorey
I run the 8" one on my bike, it's perfect for me, I'm 5ft10" so the 8" is right where my vision is not obstructed by the few of the sheild, as far a buffeting it doesn't bother me, actually I've never complained about that in all my years of riding but I do like a good looking sheild though.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:46 AM
thirdruffian1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride an '09 Ultra. I experience a lot more buffeting than I did on my '07 Street Glide. I had several different windshields for the SG, and all of them did their job... too bad I let them go when I sold the bike.
My biggest problem is my beard blowing up into my eyes when I ride without a helmet. It's strange that it would blow straight up, it didn't do that on the SG.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdruffian1
My biggest problem is my beard blowing up into my eyes when I ride without a helmet. It's strange that it would blow straight up, it didn't do that on the SG.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that. My beard doesn't quite reach my eyes since I ride with a full-face helmet, but it does take a semi-permanent curl after a couple of hours. Looks pretty weird when I walk into a restaurant.

I just pulled my beard up to see how far it would go without a helmet. Only to the middle of my nose. So I have a ways to go . . .

This does illustrate that the air is coming from down below, not over the windshield.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 AM
SSN711
Cruiser

I have no buffeting issues with the stock shield on my ultra even with my full face helmet. I am 5'11''. I see over the top of the windshield most of the time if I sit upright, but slack my back and I am looking through it. This works great in the rain for me.

However, I always thought Harley should have an electrically adjustable windshield to acomodate various size people.

Quick Reply: Electra Glide and Ultra Classic Windshield Buffeting