General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:53 PM
bikerick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Jacket

Langlitz Leathers...what kinda price are we looking at for a leather jacket??

Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Nordictat2
Advanced

Maybe you'll find something here???

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nk...bkBtn=1&_rdc=1

Old 02-20-2010, 07:48 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I checked their site, didn't see prices, maybe didn't look hard enough. Stay away from goat skin, had boots made in mexico from that, while fit really good, not very durable. Don't know why they claim goat is such a strong leather? And thickness of the hide is not as important as how it's tanned. When I bought my first harley jacket in 74, it was like a leather belt, it was sooo stiff. But really nice once broke in, Still have it. Nowadays it seems they all preach soft and supple. Not what you really want when you hit the tarmack. Haven't found a jacket since that really would give real protection in leather. my .02 btw, think I paid $125 at the time.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 02-20-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe I just got there catalog.

Leather biker jacket 1,000 or something like that.
In the trash it went.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't remember the pricing from Langlitz when i looked a year or so ago. Just remember it was more than I was prepared to spend. That being said, everyone I have talked that owns anything by Langlitz says it was well worth the $$$.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerick
Give Dave Hansen a call and ask. Some of the nicest people that will answer all of your question you have.

Cool thing about langlitz is they a biker racer started the company 60 years ago. So it is true riding gear.

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I checked their site, didn't see prices, maybe didn't look hard enough. Stay away from goat skin, had boots made in mexico from that, while fit really good, not very durable. Don't know why they claim goat is such a strong leather? And thickness of the hide is not as important as how it's tanned. When I bought my first harley jacket in 74, it was like a leather belt, it was sooo stiff. But really nice once broke in, Still have it. Nowadays it seems they all preach soft and supple. Not what you really want when you hit the tarmack. Haven't found a jacket since that really would give real protection in leather. my .02 btw, think I paid $125 at the time.
I take issue with regarding your comment about goat skin. You are way off base. All off my Jackets and pants are goatskin. The material holds up very well. I have experience a this during a slide on the 57 freeway and it held up. Jacket was scuffed will a perfect rain groove pattern when I stopped. Sent my jacket back to Lanlglitz and had it rebuilt to new. If you start with quality hides, zippers and experience seamstres's you get a product that fits, performs and last a life time.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Request their catalog as it has a price list. Jackets generally start at about $900. They are top quality. If you want the best, they are worth the price. However, there are other excellent leather jackets out there for a little less.

A lot of posters on this forum will come in here touting Fox Creek which is about half the cost of a Langlitz. I do not have a Fox Creek so I cannot compare them to my Langlitz but with Langlitz you do know who is making your jacket. Not so with Fox Creek as they are a retailer, not a manufacturer. Vanson, Schott and others also make high quality leather jackets. Vanson is moving their manufacturing to El Salvador whereas the others are still made here, so far.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Give Dave Hansen a call and ask. Some of the nicest people that will answer all of your question you have.

Cool thing about langlitz is they a biker racer started the company 60 years ago. So it is true riding gear.

I take issue with regarding your comment about goat skin. You are way off base. All off my Jackets and pants are goatskin. The material holds up very well. I have experience a this during a slide on the 57 freeway and it held up. Jacket was scuffed will a perfect rain groove pattern when I stopped. Sent my jacket back to Lanlglitz and had it rebuilt to new. If you start with quality hides, zippers and experience seamstres's you get a product that fits, performs and last a life time.
Well, it could be that here are different degrees of goat skin, tanning methods and what not. I, personally, with experience, do not have much faith in , you would have to agree, the thin skin of goat leather. Are we going to go off thread on what is the best leather, certainly it would seem obvious that goat skin would not be as durable as say, "bullhide". Let's just cut to the chase, if you like goat, go for it, I know that real goat won't hold up. my .02

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 02-21-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikerick
About a grand.

Very nice leather jackets with more choices at Fox Creek for about 400.

Decent, long lasting, split leather jackets at Leatherup.com for about 110 or naked cowhide for about 180.

If you feel confident you'll stay the same size you are right now then spending the bucks on the high dollar jackets may be worth it to you. Bear in mind if it gets stolen or gets braised it's a total loss out of pocket on any of them.

I went with Leatherup this time. I'll see how things go over the next few years to see if I want to upgrade and donate the Leatherup.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

The reason goat skin holds up so well in thinner cuts is because the grain of the leather is much tighter that cow hide. I've had jackets of both cowhide and goat skin and If I have to do the slide for life I would much rather be wearing goat skin. By the way my goat skin jacket was made by Langlitz Leathers. I wish I still had it.

Quick Reply: Leather Jacket