General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your bike use a lot of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts
Default Does your bike use a lot of oil?

I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem here. I went on my roadtrip and did around 3000 miles. When I got home, I checked the oil level (I had my 10000 mi service performed just before I left on the trip). I had to add about 1.5 liters. I called the dealership and asked about that and was told that according to HD, it's normal for my bike to use 1.1 liters/2400kms (about 1400 miles). This seems REALLY screwy to me. At that rate, it would be "normal" to add more than 4 liters of oil between changes... and that's more than the bike holds! Do you all have the same amount of oil usage?

Thanks for any insights.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-09-2006, 07:07 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Does your bike use a lot of oil?

Clammy, I have 17,000 miles on my 2005 Standard, which is practically the same bike as your Night Train and it uses very little oil between changes. Was your air filter or the end of your pipes excessively oily?

Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a liter?

No this seems like a bit much to me. I changed my oil just before Myrtle Beach this spring, have over 3500 miles on the bike since and haven't had to add a drop. I've talked to others that think my bike is doing better than average because they use about a quart between changes. Either way, that's still much less than what you're experiencing.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:23 PM
BlueShift
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06' FXDB uses none and I ride the hell out of it. Is it still under warranty? I'd get that checked.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My Evo has nearly 120K on it and uses very little oil between 2500mi changes. It did get new rings at 65K when the base gaskets had to be replaced- not because rings were necessary.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '06 FLSTCI uses a little under a quart every 5000 miles. I change my oil every 2500 miles, and it's usually about 1/2 quart from the high mark before change. If your bike is not leaking oil, I doubt that you have bad piston rings (high mileage) and would therefore suspect leaking valve guides (HD has had problems with those). If your bike is under warranty, I would have them check engine compression and valve guides.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

Clammy, I have 17,000 miles on my 2005 Standard, which is practically the same bike as your Night Train and it uses very little oil between changes. Was your air filter or the end of your pipes excessively oily?

No oil in the filter on in the pipes.

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

My '06 FLSTCI uses a little under a quart every 5000 miles. I change my oil every 2500 miles, and it's usually about 1/2 quart from the high mark before change. If your bike is not leaking oil, I doubt that you have bad piston rings (high mileage) and would therefore suspect leaking valve guides (HD has had problems with those). If your bike is under warranty, I would have them check engine compression and valve guides.
I mentioned the thing about the valve guides, but the service manager said my oil usage is within HD specs, so there's no problem. Now, I used to be a car mechanic, and if a car came in using that much oil there was a real problem. I understand that air-cooled engines are bit looser and will use a bit of oil, but the amount that HD allows for seems really excessive!

One other thing. When I was on the road trip, we rode through that big heat wave in the Northeast US, so I rode 8 - 10 hours/day for 5 days when the temps were over 100 degrees. Woudl that have anything to do with it?

This bothers me because I am now using Amsoil, and that stuff ain't cheap, and I don't want to be having to put in 8 liters for each oil change!

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2006, 07:57 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you have no evidence of blow by or burning, I think I'd just watch it closely using exactly the same procedure each time you check it. If the bike had sat for a while, some oil could have leaked down in the crankcase. Seems like I remember there being a check valve that can malfunction.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5000 mils on mine. I have not added any oil between changes.

Quick Reply: Does your bike use a lot of oil?