General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jacket...Kidney Belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Jacket...Kidney Belt

I've been looking at different options for a jacket. There is a local leather shop (US Leathers, Dedham MA) that custom makes jackets, and will alter it till it fits perfectly. They run about $370 with a lifetime warrantee and will repair the jacket in the event of an accident. They do really nice work.

Then there's Leatherup.com. Has anybody done business with them? I ended up ordering this jacket.
https://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...6.html#reviews

It was only $211 after an online code that gave me 15% off ( http://www.retailmenot.com/view/leatherup.com 4STURGIS is the code)

Then I made the mistake of trying on the HD FXRG Leather Jacket at $675 . http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US
Of course it fits like a glove and I'm completely obsessed with it. The one feature it has that I've never seen in a jacket is a kidney belt. I cinched myself up in that and it was unbelievably comfortable. Lately my back has been getting sore after long rides and I think this would help.

If anyone has experience with these jackets or with riding with a kidney belt, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by knewt5; 08-09-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 AM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a HD leather jacket - $500.00 - love it but I`m not sure I`d do it again - better deals out there from indy`s.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftharder
I have a HD leather jacket - $500.00 - love it but I`m not sure I`d do it again - better deals out there from indy`s.
Ditto

I have HD's Competition II jacket and the only reason I own it is because I had $1,500 in "free" shwag when I bought my bike in '07. I had zero riding gear as this was my first bike, and this was the only jacket I found that had the least amount of loud branding all over it. Some of those jackets make me want to puke especially the screamin' eagle ****.

If I had it to do all over again I'd probably have spent that $1,500 a bit wiser, but this jacket is truly awesome and I'm glad I have it.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thoe FXRG jackets seem real nice. I'd love to have one, but have a couple of perfectly good jackets already. So unless they get marked down 50%.....

But, yes, the internal kidney belt, full liner, waterproof leather, zillions of pockets.

The only bad word on them is the zippers. Search the threads here and you will read about guys who bought them, had the zippers fail almost immediately, and then had their dealer and/or HD pay for the replacement.

And the FXRG stuff is minimal on the branding. HD foolishly thought they'd market this line to riders of other brands. lol

Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
knewt5
Road Master

The Competition II is an awesome looking jacket, I love the quilted side pannels and $470 is certainly a better price than $675.

Great info about the zippers.

HD aiming for other riders is laughable since they have no other retail outlets than HD Dealers.

Anyothers with infor to share...Anyone had experience with Leatherup.com?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get the Harley jacket on ebay or from Zanotti and save 20%! I was in the same boat as you a few years back and never did get the FXRG. I stillf want one but that is a lot of money for a jacket!

Drew

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
Anyone had experience with Leatherup.com?
I got my wife's chaps from there and I believe they're the same brand you're looking at for your jacket. No complaints at all in the product or the company's ability to process orders and ship timely.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Leather up is pakistan's leather some times it's going to fit.

Last edited by cadman311; 08-09-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I found my HD FXRG Leather Jacket at half price. It's the best jacket for my riding. I had mine on last week in the rain as I use mine as a rain coat also. It will cost more but it is a very good riding jacket. I have many other jackets this is what wear most of my riding time in the fall, winter and spring time. In the summer time on cool night and on rainy days.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 290 Posts

I bought leather pants from Leather Up and the leather seems nice and thick. I buy from them again.
As for local firm, I can tell you near me in San Francisco is Johnson Leather's who have a great rep with many local riders. Over the years I have only had zipper repair issues with my leathers.
HD makes great products baring the price. You probably have this jacket for a decade or more.
Vanson leathers also made good thick protective riding leathers.

Quick Reply: New Jacket...Kidney Belt