General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Saftey

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Saftey

I wondered if some of my riding buddies think its funny that I wear my helmet, and HD mesh jacket with the armor. I always ride with at least Jeans, boots and helmet and glasses. When I bought my Ultra I also bought a HD mesh jacket with the armor in the shoulders and sleeves. I have gotten really used to wearing it everytime that I ride. When I had my Road King (1st bike) I always rode with jeans,helmet t-shirt and sometimes leather vest. But I end up riding with some buddies that wear jeans boots and do rag. I am not trying to force my opionion on how they should dress, just wondering if they think differenly of me for taking the extra steps of the jacket and helmet every time.
Jeff

Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Riding Saftey

who cares!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
seikan1
Road Warrior

I don't think I would let someone else's opinion of the way I dress affect my own safety. I ride with safety apparel and recommend it to others. My buddies won't be paying the bills if I go down or get hit....I will. I would rather tear up my expensive equipment than my irreplacable skin/bones/organs.

Besides, isn't riding a harley kind of a form of individualism? If you dress like everyone else, are you truly showing your individuallity?

Old 09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wear my mesh pants and jacket, full helmet and gloves whenm i ride.

It;s not you but he cager that will take you down.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Sportshot
Cruiser

There are many who do not wear safety gear but I can't ever remember anybody who ever questioned why someone else does. I recently had a brother go down and he was wearing a helmet, gloves, boots and jeans with a short sleeve shirt. I'm sure glad he had the helmet on because the impact knocked him out for a couple of minutes, I don't know how bad it would have been if he had not been wearing it. Got a couple of busted ribs and significant road rash on the arms and knees. Sure made the rest of us non helmet wearing riders in the group question our own choices. You know what they say? There are two kinds of riders- Those that have gone down and those that are going.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

I thought that one of the major attractions of Harley ownership was accessorizing the bike to reflect your idea of what one should look like. I feel like this extends to the rider too. If wearing a helmet and or protective clothing is what you want to do, then that’s cool. (and smart IMHO) If these guys are really your Pals then they will respect your choice.

Zyklon

Old 09-08-2006, 04:13 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are truly your friends they should not have much to say what you wear. If they didn't want you to ride with them they would most likely find some excuse for going by themselves.

What ever you do, don't give in to other peoples standards if you feel comfortable with your own.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

Their standards may not be as different from yours as you think, they may just give in to the elements. I know all the safety stuff is important and smart, would never fault anyone for being smart but the hotter it gets the less safety gear i wear. Always helmet, it's the law, always long pants, don't want to burn my legs on the motor and always boots. But the hotter it gets the jacket and gloves are the first to go.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alaska is a rider's choice state as far as helmets are concerned.

The people I ride with run all the way from no helmet to full face. But the no helmet crews will don one if the weather or road conditions indicate it would be wise.

No one gives any one grief over their choice, except we do like to tease one old gent who insists on wearing sneakers.

We all accept responsibility for our choices. That's what Alaska and motorcycle riding is all about.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:06 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

Worry about it if and when your buddies say something to you. My question is: why are you worrying about what someone MIGHT be thinking??

Quick Reply: Riding Saftey