General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rentals-LAX area-trip idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rentals-LAX area-trip idea?

Hi all-flying into LA for a convention at the Anaheim Hilton-have no wish to see Mickey and friends. I was thinking of renting a King, pick it up Sunday and have to be back at LAX 9 am or so on Wednesday. Any tips, ideas or suggestions on a) where to rent from? Bartels? or Eaglerider LAX? Others?
Any suggestions for a good 2 day trip? Been to San Diego, but would not be adverse to returning. Palm Springs? Don't want to deal with a lot of crazy traffic

cheers and thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Might go up the coast to Malibu. Take one of the canyon loops over to Mulhollan drive and up to Hollywood hills.

Could visit the rock store, and check out all the bikes, and maybe score some celebrity sightings.

Zip back down to San Diego and take back roads up to Julian for some apple pie. Whip out your map and take some back roads returning to LA via Lake Elsinore, and stopping at Hells Kitchen for lunch.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If you rent from Bartel's head up highway 1 from Santa Monica to Malibu. Like the other poster has indicated, hit the Rock Store and carve the canyons. Head back to highway 1 and roll north to Neptunes Net for some lunch and watch the surfers. After lunch, continue north through Ventura and up to Ojai and have a cold one at the Deer Lodge. Day one concludes with a ride up to Santa Barbara for the night.

In the morning, get directions to Cold Springs Tavern, an old Wells Fargo stage stop, in the hills above Santa Barbara for breakfast. Ride north to Solvang and hang out in the Danish village for the afternoon and then head back to Santa Monica and drop off your rental. You'll experience a great ride with minimal, crazy LA traffic.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I rented from Eaglerider 2 different times. Can't complain about them. I went up the PCH. It's a really nice ride with lots to see. Going South, not so much. If you've never been to Palm Springs, it's worth the trip. Try the cable car. Takes you about 5800 feet up the mountain in 15 minutes while rotating around a full 360. Hell of a view, hell of a ride, and there is a restaurant and bar at the top. Take a coat. Going up that far, the temp drops about 30-40 degrees and it gets cold up there.

Last edited by roadking2000; 08-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion is also Eagle Rider. Based on your schedule...I would rent from Newport Beach Eagle Rider and schedule the drop-off at the LAX Eagle Rider.

Newport Beach is easier to get to and closer than going back to LAX from Anaheim. PM me if you do this and I can provide general directions from Anaheim to Newport Beach. The guys from Newport Beach Eaglerider are some real friendly folks, owner to the techs.

As for roads, while we suck in managing our money and taxing the crap out of citizens and business alike, at least the roads to ride are plentiful and for the most part in good condition.

Take notes from what folks already said, but also add ACH or Angeles Crest Highway to the list.

The list of roads to ride is long and you cannot do all the major hitters in one day, so take notes from all the suggestions and do your best to plan accordingly.

Have fun and oh yeah, disneyland is overrated and overpriced!!! (j/k, actually, they put together a pretty good product and very good at it....just super expensive).

Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all-ended up renting from Glenn at Bartels and I was treated extremely well. Went through Topanga, out to the Rock Store, Santa Barbara and Solvang-coming back down the back way down the mountain and then all the way down to Laguna, then up I5 to Ventura and looping back into Santa Monica. 2.5 great days-thanks for the great tips and aces to Bartels for a great experience

Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydavis
If you rent from Bartel's head up highway 1 from Santa Monica to Malibu. Like the other poster has indicated, hit the Rock Store and carve the canyons. Head back to highway 1 and roll north to Neptunes Net for some lunch and watch the surfers. After lunch, continue north through Ventura and up to Ojai and have a cold one at the Deer Lodge. Day one concludes with a ride up to Santa Barbara for the night.

In the morning, get directions to Cold Springs Tavern, an old Wells Fargo stage stop, in the hills above Santa Barbara for breakfast. Ride north to Solvang and hang out in the Danish village for the afternoon and then head back to Santa Monica and drop off your rental. You'll experience a great ride with minimal, crazy LA traffic.
That sounds like a really awesome ride. I may just have to head down that way to check it out.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the same thing two years ago. Rented a RK from Glendale HD on Sunday, went up the PCH, staying overnight on the way. Next day to Monterey and back on PCH south. Following day did the Reagan Museum in Simi Valley and back to Glendale and then LAX. Good folks at Glendale HD. This was one of the best rides I've had. Don't let the LA weather fool you. Bring at least a mesh jacket and liner, and probalbly you own helmet.
I'm envious and would love to do it again.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

If your Sunday to Wednesday is this weekend you'd better stay as close to PCH as you can. The weather here is supposed to be in the triple digits. Elsinore will be 110 degrees. That is not a fun ride. Also Carmageddon II (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...fic&id=8826976) begins this evening. The 405 is gonna' be completely shut down over the weekend. All roads leading into and away from Santa Monica et al will be crammed. Along with the heat you won't be happy.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the guys I ride with used to fly into LA routinely on business and always rented from Bartels. He like them because their bike had Stage 1 rather than stock. I don't know if this is still the case.