General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Swap...Is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:17 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tank Swap...Is this correct?

Okay, I'm gonna do this tommorow, but just want to get my steps right. Yes, I have the Harley manual too. Okay, after I disconnect the crossover tube I drain the tank. Can I just let it drain out of a long fuel hose? Once that is done, disconnect the dash and all the electrics, pull out the fuel guage after disconnecting it, take out the bolt in the front, take out the bolt in the rear, disconnect the fuel line at the tank. So then I have to take out the fuse that controls the fuel pump, and then take off the plate. this is where i start to get confused. I have to replace the fuel line attched to the fuel pump also. What kind of clamps do I use for the new fuel line? Just regular hose clamps? So I get all of that outta there and disconnect this fule line. Is the fuel gonna spray? I take out the fuel guage float arm thingee and then I start to put this all back in the new tank. Is that about it? One other question. Hte new tank has a little bit of styrofoam in it from shipping, how can I get it all out? Vaccuum?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:19 AM
dbohling43
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tank Swap...Is this correct?

Everything you have down sounds right. about the clamps, harley sells specific ones that I used the first swap I did. I recently swapped back to my original color and used a standard hose clamp, for the crossover line also. After you release the hinge connecting the fuel pump, before you remove it all the way, I had to remove one screw to the float so I did not bend the metal rod the float is connected too. good luck, and take your time.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Denbo
Tourer

Drain the tank before you disconnect the crossover tube other wise it will be all over,buy a cheap fish tank or gas siphon w/pump bulb and pump it dry you can even let the bike sit for a bit outside and the remnants will evaporate.I think Harley has a nice braided cross-over tube with a hidden type of clamp,I just saw it the other day on the net.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Darn...I thought you were talking about this type of tank:

[IMG]local://upfiles/4811/A16EEA6E0E5A4049A625CA216497C2EC.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 AM
GADave
Road Master

Take out the fuse that runs the fuel pump before you do anything else. Then start your bike and run it until it runs out of gas, mine didn't take very long only about 15 seconds. This'll take the pressure out of the fuel lines.

I just siphoned the tank as dry as I could then stuffed a bunch of rags around the cross over hose as I pulled it off and drained the remainder (more than I thought) into a small, 1 gal. gas can. Didn't get much spill and the rags sucked it up real quick.

My bike's injected. There's a lot more stuff hangin' down in that gas tank than you think. It's a PITA to get it out of there, you must disconnect the hose from the petcock to the fuel pump, at the fuel pump. Reaching your hand down in there to do this isn't as easy as the manual makes it seem then connecting it at re-assembly is even worse. I used a regular stainless hose clamp here.

When you put all the junk back into the tank, be careful, and when it's in there right, it still doesn't seem right. Takes a little pressure on the top plate when you reinstall it. I used black OE automotive style hose clamps on the cross over tube, the big stainless ones would look bad. After all was in & done I wasn't sure about my job of reinstalling the fuel pump, fuel gauge, and all the other junk hanging down in the tank because you're doing it sort of blind. But, it started, runs great, doesn't leak and everything works good. I must have gotten it right.

Have fun!

Dave

Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 AM
GADave
Road Master

Sorry forgot about this question you had - as far as cleaning the stuff out of your new tank, I just used one of the previously mentioned rags with gas on them. Kept wiping real good inside until I was confident it was clean. The little bits of stuff down in there will stick to a rag dampened with gas.

Dave

Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Denb0
I think Harley has a nice braided cross-over tube with a hidden type of clamp,I just saw it the other day on the net.
You sound like you know what your doin. It's really not that hard of a job. I've done two in the past six months. On both bikes I installed the "nice" Harley braided cross over line rather than the stock one. Myself and my buddy are both rather dissapointed with the braided crossover line.

Because it's nice & shiny it gets pretty dirty fast and then it's tough to clean because it's braided. I was just thinking the other day of draining my tank and re installing the black crossover.

It's just a personal choice.

Good luck with the job!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another (better, IMO) option for a replacement crossover line is the E-Z Flow corssover w/quick disconnect. THey come in either braided or black rubber. You cam also get a long drain hose that connects to one end and allows you to get some fuel out into a container in case one of your riding buds runs out & needs a little to get to a station.

I bought my first one from a dealership and have seen them in several indy shops since.
(619) 660-8839

The Original "E-Z FLOW" Quick Disconnect Fuel Crossover allows for Quick, Clean, and Safe fuel tank removal without the need to drain the fuel.
www.e-z-flow.com ( I just checked & this domain name registration has expired...???)
ezflow@pacbell.net

Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

make sure you disconnect the battery after you run the fuel down.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EZ flow crossover lines are also available from Dennis kirk. The manufacturer had a booth set up at Laughlin this year and I got mine straight from him. Makes anything involving gas tank removal a lot easier, since you don't have to drain the gas first.

Quick Reply: Tank Swap...Is this correct?