General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis Campgrounds / Party - In the Hills?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Sturgis Campgrounds / Party - In the Hills?

I am looking for any recommendations for a new campground during the Sturgis Rally. For the last several years we have stayed at the Buffalo Chip - and it has been a lot of fun.

But we are getting really tired of the ride through Sturgis each twice each day and were wondering if there might be a fun place to stay in the hills.

We want to find a place that has a party atmosphere and the rally experience. We do not expect the bands but are not looking for a family friendly environment either.

Any recommendations?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Hog Heaven. Heard lots of great things and nothing bad about it.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Hog Heaven is nice, close to town and they have some shade if you get there early in the week.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are camping at HogHeaven , but I don't think they advertise it as a party atmosphere. It also depends what you call a party. In sturgis a family atmosphere could mean pantys stay on.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have experience with Shade Valley. was a little bit aways from downtown (about 7 miles) past the Chip. lots of shade, absolutely awesome shower facilities, great new saloon called the Eye Candy Saloon. they have live bands every night and different ones every night. Next Sturgis I do, if I don't stay out in Deadwood I'd stay at Shade Valley

Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

One of the best family friendly is Elkview camp grounds about 6 miles from Sturgis right off the I-90. No reservations needed for tent camping as they have a large area. Good amenities. Light entertainment in the evening at the bar-grill.

I have stayed there seven times and never any trouble. Well, if you don't count hail storms that they have no control over.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
One of the best family friendly is Elkview camp grounds about 6 miles from Sturgis right off the I-90. No reservations needed for tent camping as they have a large area. Good amenities. Light entertainment in the evening at the bar-grill.

I have stayed there seven times and never any trouble. Well, if you don't count hail storms that they have no control over.

I like Elk View also. Both are fairly tame. Elk View is right on the super slab so kinda noisy.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This will be my 3rd stay at hog heaven campground this yr. I looked around at all the different campground locations and i seemed to end up right back at HH. For the price and what you get its is the best deal. They have decent local bands every night and a outdoor bar that does not have overpriced beers. They have a good food vendor there and prices are very reasonable for the amount of food they give you. Bathrooms are always clean and I have never run out of hot water. They have a attendant that is always on top of things. Its easy to get out of the CG and head to the black hill etc. the road exits right by the I-90 exit to sturgis. There is also a shortcut into town that goes under I-90 and in the back side of sturgis so you can park close to main st but still get out quick if you want to. even to cut thru town its pretty easy along the back side street. You can also get some sleep there. You may want to check it out.. Jeff

Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Geoff of NV
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for Hog Heaven.
http://www.hogheavencampground.com/